1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to expect from the Prius - a (very personal) table overview on fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pakitt, Jan 13, 2011.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    After driving my Prius for more than 15 months, reading posts on Priuschat and checking the data found on Spritmonitor.de, I have setup the following INDICATIVE table about what type of fuel consumption one can expect, on AVERAGE, from the Prius.

This should be good especially for newbies, so as to give them an idea of what to expect from real life, and when to get "worried" if the consumption is not what they expect it to be.

Yes, the table is totally arbitrary, no scientific value behind it, only real life observations - feedback is welcome for adjustments or changes. No, this table is not the "bible" or the "truth" - your mileage may vary...

It assumes that these are average values over a "reasonable" long trip of the type mentioned in the table (3km trip is not a trip at all, 5km on the highway, is not an highway trip; 10km in the suburbs/countryside, not quite a ride...), that you are not an hypermiler, that you are not resetting the Trip *after* the engine has warmed up, you are not riding with almost exploding tires, that you have no grille blocking; these are real-life values for "normal" average drivers.

There might be those who manage to get better values due to driving style, traffic patterns, quality of road, type and pressure of wheels, usage of accessories, rain or not, empy car, only driver or passengers (even body weight counts), empty boot (void of crap, that is!).

It assumes that you use A/C at 22-25C when it is "hot" and at 17-21C when it is cold. *That you use ECO in winter when in town - and that you use AUTO*.
    For normal drivers, when using PWR (my personal experience), your fuel consumption *might* raise of 5-10%. Others on the forum here report no change in fuel consumption, though: it depends on your trip, where you drive, and another zillion of factors.

Any deviation will/might raise in one way or another your consumption. Again the values are a plain simple "indication". Your reality, your driving style, your expectations, your previous cars, will eventually determine if the Prius is doing you good.

NOTE: If somebody knows how to make a table in BCC code please let me know. The only way I found for now is to make a pic of my spreadsheet and post as a pic...

NOTE2: following assumptions are made for the table - using A/C in summer/warm-hot and heater in winter, will hit FE; when exceeding a certain speed, use of A/C will not affect FE, heater will, but marginally; City "smooth" means that you get the chance to drive a couple of km every now and then at constant speed - stop&go means "chaos!" ;) .

[EDIT]: updated table with split between (legal :D) US/EU highway speeds, as per comment from user kgall below. It does actually make a difference if you drive 100-110km/h or 130-140km/h.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice work, perhaps toyota should add this to their sticker and website!

1 person likes this.
  3. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is good stuff.
    There's one suggestion that I have--maybe a bit finer "grain" for the highway speed part of the chart. You have a speed range of 100-130 km/h for highway driving (62-80 mph). I've noticed pretty large differences between about 100 and about 130, even at similar temperatures. I'm not sure what to do with this though, without making your tables more complicated.

1 person likes this.
  4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I get your point - I wanted to simply put "highway" meaning "high speed, beyond which speed is the only factor affecting fuel consumption". I will see though if I can split it in maybe 2 - considering that most of the US drives on highway at 100-120km/h (65-75mph), whereas in EU and possibly rest of the planet, it tends to be more in the range 120-140km/h (75-85mph).

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Our highways are 80-100km/h with the exception in the Canadian Prairies where there are 110km/h limits.