1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What To Expect On First Tank of Gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boulder_bum, Mar 16, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've heard a rumor that the Prius fuel efficiency gets better once the car is broken in. I'm still on my very first tank of gas and am playing around with some of the hypermiling tricks, averaging 45 MPG for mostly short trips (few miles round trip). I'm very happy with that, but I'm wondering what is normal for a first tank, and what I can expect in the future.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy Boulder Bum

First tank MPG? Hard to say since you didn't know how full the tank was and what the dealer did with the Prius before you got it. My first tank was 38.4 MPG. Like Tony, I still haven't breached the 50 MPG threshold at 2,400 miles on the clock. Currently I'm seeing ~46 MPG and expect that to steadly increase for likely the first 6,000 miles or more according to my experience for 2+ years in my 2004 Prius.

ENJOY YOUR PRIUS

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly I don't think you should even think about hypermiling techniques right now. Drive the car, start getting a feel for how it behaves when it does what it does, how to make it do what you want, let it break in. Establish a baseline.

In a couple thousand miles you can start thinking about getting fancy, but until then it will be almost impossible for you to know if the you're getting better FE b/c the car is breaking in or b/c of hypermiling techniques or if maybe you're not getting as good as you could b/c you don't have a frame of reference.

5. cobra94563

cobra94563 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 16 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]406890[/snapback]</div>
    Very useful information - Thanks! B)

6. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Howdy, Charles!

Tony, did you start consciously doing anything to boost your fuel efficiency?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 16 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]406898[/snapback]</div>
    Ack! How can I not?!? Isn't that like buying a Ferrari and only driving at 25 MPH the first several months?

I will try to follow your advice for a short break-in period, but I'm not sure I have the patience to drive a couple thousand miles before seeing how I can become more efficient. :lol:

7. JamieS

JamieS New Member

I'm averaging 41.3 right now, on our first tank and yet to break 200 miles.

The dealer used it for driving to and from his house so it already had 90 miles on it [so by that, I guess we've broken 200].

I can't help myself, I have to do some things like coasting to a stop and barely pressing the gas and such. It makes driving so much more fun.

My parents won't be doing any special driving in it though. I just feel I have to make the car have amazing mileage to prove to them that it was worth it.

8. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rainydysandmondys @ Mar 16 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]406958[/snapback]</div>

Dude, you're 16 years old!? Good for you for thinking smart! I'm 21 and have some pride for buying one (of course I didn't buy it new...wanted to, but found a used one for $10,000 less than when it was originally sold for......though it does have 63,000 miles on it). Good to see that younger people are trying to be more environmentally conscious.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cobra9 @ Mar 16 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]406905[/snapback]</div>
    I was really amazed when I first presented that chart at Hybridfest. People loved it. I simply wanted to track my mileage. But what I've found is that having this chart has saved me a lot of arguing when people sarcastically ask if I get the EPA mileage. With this, there is no doubt that I beat EPA regularly. And like I do here, I show it to new owners to let them know that everyone has a learning curve and regardless of your first, second, third tanks you will get better mileage in time. And now it's clear why the auto critics will complain that on their test drive they didn't get good mileage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Mar 16 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]406932[/snapback]</div>
    I've put notes to help me remember when I made certain changes. When reading these, it's best to have the chart open:
    Summer, 2005: I think it was break-in, learning, and warmer weather.
    Early February, 2006: Installed the EV Button. It helps when used correctly.
    August 2006: I didn't note this, but this is the tank where I overinflated my tires. As the chart clearly indicates, my mileage - compared to the previous year - was simply amazing. Wayne Gerdes convinced me to increase my psi from 40/38 to 50/48. The results speak for themselves.

10. JamieS

JamieS New Member

The environment is [and will always be] my life. The only reason we bought the Prius is because I was incessantly pushing for it. Prius = <3.

11. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Mar 16 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]406887[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bum, I had a 06 that started out getting better milage than my 4 day old 07 Touring. There are so many variables that affect mpg its a bit hard to determine if its the car and its associated systems or something totally out of my control like wind, grade, temperature etc. I've got about 450 miles on the 07 and have been averaging 47 mpg at 70 mph for half of that 450 miles and the balance represents around town driving. The 47 represents the total mpg at this point. I would suggest that you break the car in the same way you intend to drive the car day in and day out. Get use to and be comfortable with all the other gee wiz stuff and let the milage take care of itself for now. Keep reading the prius forums and you'll pick up a few good hints along the way. You will develope your own techniques that suit your driving style and the efficencies will slowly unravel themselves as you put time in the seat. Congrats and good luck with the new car. Greg

12. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there!

Congrat's on the new Prius. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

My personal experience:

I didn't even figure out how to look at the mileage until
    after my first tank. I was too busy smiling :) and talking (and listening)
    to my car to bother with pushing buttons (other than Power, of course :D).

At about 800mi, I took her to Houston using cruise control the whole way.
    She gave me 48mpg there and 52mpg back.

Up to now (1800mi) I average 47mpg in city driving.

Good luck!

13. chutneypopcorn

chutneypopcorn New Member

for the veteran Prius drivers here:
    Should newbies like even bother to look at mpg numbers within the first 1000 miles, leave alone the first tank of gas, given the "break-in" period???

Reason I ask is newbies have all sorts of doubts and worries about things that aren't always intuitively obvious, like the "break-in" period for the Prius. How does a new driver know subpar mpg is not a sign of something being wrong with the car versus just normal occurrence for the first 1000-2000 miles?

I filled up for the first time today at 311 miles with two fuel-gauge bars visible. Put in about 8.6 gallons before the auto-shutoff mechanism of the pump kicked in. Should I read anything into this? Sorry, if I am belaboring an already discussed-to-death issue, but your personalized response to my query would be sooooo much appreciated :)
    Thank you!!

14. gamiller

gamiller New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Mar 16 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]406887[/snapback]</div>
    Keep in mind where you drive , temperature and the short duration of your trips will hold your fe down . I was able to get 52+ on my first tank. Reason I live in Florida --flat roads and mild climate etc.

15. priuscali07

priuscali07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got an 07 Prius recently. First tank me and my wife averaged only 38. Is this normal?

We got some medium sized hills that we have to drive every day, so that may be affecting it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gamiller @ Apr 7 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]419625[/snapback]</div>

16. gamiller

gamiller New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WhitePriusZOOM @ Apr 7 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]419650[/snapback]</div>
    Because of where I live I am able to do a lot of pulse and gliding and many miles are driven below 45 mpg
    check this site http://www.greenhybrid.com/ and http://www.hybridcars.com/

17. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ended up getting 50 MPG with mostly short trips trying to hyper-mile the whole time! All in all, I'm pretty pleased!

18. sdb313

sdb313 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 16 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]406898[/snapback]</div>
    It will take me ages to get a couple of thousand miles on! It will be hard to not try hypermiling, but will heed your advice at least for a bit!

19. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mainewoman @ Apr 8 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]419978[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Boulder--that's where I went to school!

Nice job getting 50! It took me a little while to figure out how to drive. I thought granny driving would deliver the best milage but I only got 35 mpg doing that. I let my leadfoot sister drive it and she got 49! So I combined quicker starts with gliding and gradual stops and started averaging 52-53. This was with less than 200 miles on the ODO, so I'm pretty pleased.

Eric

20. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As with all new cars, your mileage will increase as the car breaks in. My old VW GTI saw a significant mileage increase at 5,000 miles, 20,000 miles, and again at 40,000 miles.

My first tank in my Prius resulted in 52.8 MPG in what I call entirely "normal" driving. No "hyper-" whatever. All that "hyper-" stuff just sounds like names of STD's to me.

Just drive your car ... your mileage will vary according to a number of variables that no one here could explain in full.

Besides ... it's more fun to figure out the tricks on your own. They're more meaningful that way.

Such is life, too.

Enjoy your new sled.