1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to look for when buying a 2005 Prius with 34,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exbauer, Apr 4, 2010.

1. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking at buying a 2005 Prius with 34,000 miles. It has pkg 6 which includes HID headlights and navigation. Is there anything I should look out for? I am buying from somebody that does not know the history of the car or anything. I ran an AutoCheck and it comes back clean.

2. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may want a dealer to check it out. The Prius is very reliable, but when it has a problem it is expensive. Here are some simple checks:

-Make sure you get the extra key as they are very expensive.
    -Check to insure that the inverter coolant pump is operating by checking for turbulence in the fluid reservoir.
    -Check your aux. battery condition by pushing the start button once with no brake and check battery voltage is at least 12VDC.
    -Check inverter voltage by pushing the brake and start button to make the car READY and check the inverter system voltage is approximately 13.8VDC.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely pay a dealer to thoroughly inspect and test the car. So many things can be wrong with any modern car (but especially a Prius) it'll make you ill. Search for a recent thread by wingye to see just how expensive an un-inspected car can prove to be.

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Waaaaaay too technical. Look for oil stains on the seats and abnormally dirty carpets.

Oh ok...

It might have been in an accident, only a trained eye and a paint thickness meter (that experts use in autobody) can tell.

Here in Canada the insurers exchange VIN history between themselves, so Allstate would know if it was repaired w/significant damage or not.

5. mva

mva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i just bought a 2005 Prius:

So far I am very happy and I have had no issues but if I was buying again I would reset the trip meter on the display and go for a good long test drive (50 to 100 miles of combined city and highway). If everything is working properly and depending on outside temperature, you should get 40 mpg or better.

I have been averaging 42 mpg in winter conditions averaging 0 to 10 C.

As others have posted, make sure it is not a rebuilt salvage vehicle and I would ask to see the maintenance history. If maintenance has been done at Toyota a dealer should be able to get you the history.

These cars are very reliable.