1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to use to clean the dashboard?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by toolbox2014, Feb 23, 2015.

1. toolbox2014

toolbox2014 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have a 2015 for a few month and wonder what should I use to clear the dashboard and other plastic panels. Thanks.

2. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Personal opinion: Use nothing but a microfiber towel. If you need a little moisture, just use a little spray of water. If whatever is on your dash still won't come off, spray warm water. Luckily, I haven't had to use anything stronger. But one tip, do not use dusting sprays, like Pledge. It'll attract dust, which is counter productive.

Mike

Okinawa likes this.
  3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use a chamois cloth. I wet it and wring it out until it is just damp. It works well for me.

4. toolbox2014

toolbox2014 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe I was not clear in my 1st post, all I need is a damp cloth to clean the scuff marks?

IMG_0003 (1000 x 666).jpg IMG_0004.JPG

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    So far, that is what I use too

6. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A damp towel works best. I avoid protectant because it produces too much sheen, IMO.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could try some cleaning products like windex, but they tend to leave another kind of mark.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I generally use 3 products at various times for the actually colored "dash".

When I'm REALLY detailing the vehicle...I clean the dash and treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Inbetween...I keep a swiffer sweeper insert in the glove box, and when I start to notice dust, I just pull it out and dust. Keeps the dash looking great for a long, long time. Makes application of chemical cleaners, more or less just to protect the plastic.

I also keep a canister of Meguiars Interior Protectant wipes in the trunk. If the dash starts to look pale, or it really only takes seconds to grab one and wipe things down.

Usage of these 3 products, at various times is actually pretty easy, and keeps my interior looking really clean. Infact, most people think I spend, hours and hours in maintenance, but really, if you just buy a few of these products, and then wipe down just occasionally...there is little else you ever have to do.

Clear plastic? Well on the dash, I think less is more. I avoid getting anything with chemicals on it, in fear that it might cloud the plastic. So far? It's just naturally kept pretty clean. I really don't want to get moisture, or scratches or clouding. My approach is "Less Is More".

The touch screen...I use LCD screen wipes...also kept in a small canister in the glove box. When I notice a lot of fingerprints, smudges or dust? Also pretty easy to grab one and wipe down. So far, so good.

Depends on the protectants. Many now advertise a "Natural" or low gloss look. Which I like best.

303 is low gloss, and Meguiars makes a natural look protectant that I think looks good. They also make an excellent interior detailer spray.

#8 The Electric Me, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, no residue left behind by a paper towel, spray the windex on the towel not the dash, just like a tv screen.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I use just a damp cloth for cleaning, plus occasional run a dust wand over. Mostly the latter, not too fussy. The dash material is unorthodox, some sort of plant based plastic. I find it tends to "pill" a bit when you rub it. Scuffs you see one day are sometimes gone later, lol.

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    NEVER but NEVER use Windex in a modern TV screen, it ruins the plastic surface; I do not think that anybody keeps a CRT (TUBE) TV for the big entertainment anymore.
    Luke warm water on a chamois or soft material is the only thing you need.
    Now if the surface is filled with food residues and finger prints, wash your hands before touching it at all times.....

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Soft cloth with a warm mild soapy water solution. Follow with same cloth and clean warm water.