1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What type of fuse do I need? Blew my dome light fuse.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sassylady, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Sassylady

Sassylady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What amp is the dome light fuse for a 2010 Prius II? I've seen 10A and 15A. I couldn't tell from the diagram on the Prius fuse box lid in the engine compartment because I don't know if the word "Dome" applies to the fuse BELOW the word "Dome". I was changing my incandescent interior lights to LED - and had the lights on - all went fine until I went to the light in the trunk. All seemed well and then I realized the new trunk LED would not come on and I looked up and saw all interior LED lights were off. The car starts, all exterior lights work - only the interior lights do not work. The "skid" lamp is now always on - telling me this is a fuse. I am new at this so I have to ask, is having the interior lights on while changing to LED's blow the fuse?

I just purchased these on eBay - Qty 50 Asst Mini Blade Fuse Amps Kit Fits Toyota Car Truck SUV Electric Box | eBay Will these work in my 2010 Prius II? Thank you for your time.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sassylady, those will "fit", but they are the wrong type of fuse. They'll stick up too high so you won't be able to get your cover back on, but they'll work in a pinch, if that's all you have. You need low profile mini fuses. Posting from my phone, so no image provided. But you can Google low profile mini auto fuse to see them. Or look at the blown fuse you pulled from your fuse box. ;)

The amp ratings are marked on the fuses as well.

SCH-I535

Yes, it's possible to blow the fuse by swapping bulbs without first turning the dome light switch to Off or pulling the fuse to remove power from the circuit.

Here's a picture of the mini low profile fuse, it's on the right:

[​IMG]

You can tell when the fuse is blown when the S shaped piece of aluminum in the central window is melted/vaporized, and the window might be discolored as well.

SCH-I535

Sassylady likes this.
  3. Sassylady

Sassylady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate the info and the pictures. That helps me know what to look for. Last night after looking at my owners manual and fuse box and being very careful, checking myself several times, I concluded the 15A info was wrong and the right fuse was the 10A red one. I had a spare in the fuse box and timidly put it in because I've read you can do serious damage if you put in the wrong fuse. But I was encouraged by the owners manual, looking at the fuse box and the fact that I took a red 10A out of space #29, held it up and it was burned out - confirming what I'd been thinking. Voila - the spare 10A fuse worked!! I have no more spares so I will be purchasing more - a small kit to keep in the car - looking for the mini low profile as you described. Thank you for helping me. As I do more and more with this car (I've had it 2 months) and doing small mods, I am learning more and more. I desire to put a string of white LEDS along the lower edge of the headlights and also install fog lights - but I am going to have to read, watch videos and learn more to do that. There is no one around to help me so I am learning a great deal from PriusChat.
    I did install the trunk/cargo LED last night, after turning off the interior lights, and after quite a bit of effort I got the LED festoon in place (it's too long even tho seller said it would fit), and put the cover on - it works but I will be watching it to make sure it doesn't get too hot as the LEDs themselves are almost against the plastic cover - not a lot of room in the cargo light area. But my lights are all on, fuse is changed and now I know, thanks to you, Xliderider, which fuses to purchase as replacements. Again, thank you.

ftl and xliderider like this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No problem, glad everything worked out. (y)

I also had problems replacing the festoon bulb in the hatch area with one that came in a "kit" off of eBay. It was definitely too long for the application, so I emailed the seller and they sent me the same size bulb that was for the interior dome light, which fits better. I have subsequently replaced my dome light with a panel type LED array which is much brighter.

Something like this:

I actually got one that is in "warm white" which looks like incandescent bulbs in color temperature, just way brighter.

5. Sassylady

Sassylady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again - I believe your panel type dome light is what I have in my dome light - but mine is bright white. I will be looking for something else for the hatch area, I have a panel of 9 of the LED spots in a square there now, but will look for something that I feel fits better. As far as fuses - these appear that they will work, but I want to check with you first. New 120pc Low Profile Mini Blade Fuse Assortment Set Auto Car Truck ATM | eBay Again, thank you for your patience and advice.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, those fuses will work, but you don't plan on blowing that many fuses do you? :cool:

Sassylady likes this.
  7. Sassylady

Sassylady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heh, heh.... sure hope not! If I could get 2 or 3 of each, I'd be satisfied... Thanks so much!

8. hybro21

hybro21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got "plug and play" led interior lights from eBay and kept blowing my 10a fuse too. Turns out I had the license plate lights in the door and vice versa which was shorting it out at the contacts. My 2011 had the interior lights powered by #30 v. #29. Still working on a partial refund from seller on lack of instructions and non-plug and play (require flattening tips and bending fixture contacts) festoon bulbs for rear dome and trunk lights.