1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What type of scanner to use with ABS and brake lights o

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by antonio-kauai, Oct 26, 2017.

1. antonio-kauai

antonio-kauai New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a 2004 prius that had minor front end damage from the previous owner.

Now the brake light and the ABS dash lights are on. He said the lights weren't on until the accident. So I'm hoping it's just a sensor I have to replace.

My question is what kind of code reader do I need to use to check the cause of the ABS and brake lights coming on?

Thanks,
    Antonio

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the UScan with my I pep boys $79 plus a couple $20 purchases for ABS and Airbag codes

iPhone ?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If ever you're in a pinch with brake/ABS/VSC codes showing and no special tool handy, there is a way to read those codes using a short wire or paper clip and counting blinks. (Lots of threads here already cover it; search should find them.) Doesn't work for all the car's ECUs, but for the brake/skid ECU, it does.

At least, it did in Gen 1, and it does in Gen 3, and I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't in Gen 2. Gen 4, I wouldn't know about.

-Chap