1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What type of sealant is used on HV battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by dpeverhart, Jun 14, 2015.

1. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Helping a friend revive a 2002 Prius that had 3 modules leaking electrolyte. It's had the recall to apply sealant to prevent leaking but was poorly done. We've replaced the bad modules and have a new wire frame and bus bars but would like to clean the posts and reapply the sealant. What would be a suitable sealant?
    Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The sealant that was used in that campaign was a special 3M product that may have been custom developed and never available through any other channel. It went NLA several years ago.

It's probably not practical or advisable to spend time on terminal sealing at this point in the battery's life. The sealing campaign was a special case that made sense to fix a known problem on fairly new batteries, where there was a chance it could prevent any more work needing to be done on them for years to come. Now that your battery has aged into whack-a-mole territory, you'd just be driving yourself nuts trying to clean off and reapply sealant every time a mole needs whacked. There was a similar discussion back here where I think the poster was finally talked out of futzing with the sealant again.

-Chap

3. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well this battery was not properly sealed as you could see electrolyte stains on the bottom on the case. Voltages are tight across all 38 modules and they all pass a 100 amp load test. Where voltages are varying is when a charge is applied. This was seen on Techstream through a force charge and also on a bench charge of individual modules. Some modules when charging will have rapidly climbing voltage. I presume this is due to the electrolyte leak?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only part that made sense was the small piece of black, fiber material under the terminal opposite the vent nipple end. It has to be synthetic as the KOH electrolyte 'eats' organic material.

Bob Wilson