1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what type of vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by barbaram, May 27, 2008.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah it looks like a fun ride. They drove something similar to this on Top Gear awhile back.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that would be classed as a motorcycle, as is the three wheel Aptera. Really, they're tricycles, with handling characteristics different from two-wheelers and four. The Carver looks very similar to something known as the Lean Machine - I'll have to see if I can find some pictures.

The first two are of the Aptera. Note that it has two wheels at the front, with a wide track. The third picture is the 80's Lean Machine. I've had a Hot Wheels version for years. :)

Attached Files:

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh Dude!!
    I just saw a pic.

I WANT ONE!!

I'm tired of my old bikes that I had to hug like my first girlfriend in order to keep warm during cold Autumn nights.

I haven't even read hardly anything and I really like it.

(okay, the first order of the day, is to modify it and spruce it up a bit, heh)

ZC1

5. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Barbara,

I like your Prius plates. B Jazzy
    Nice.

ZC1

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Every state has its own DMV and its own rules. Normally a three-wheeler is classified as a motorcycle. In WA they call it a trike and require a trike endorsement on your driver's license. I had to take both a written test and a trike driving test to drive my Zap Xebra here. Some states do not require an endorsement. Some states do not classify them at all and they are not street legal.

Check with your own DMV, but be aware that many clerks at the level where they deal with the public do not know what the rules are. When I registered my Xebra the lady wanted to register it as a car. I told her it was a three-wheel motorcycle, and she was adamant that it was a car. After much disputing, she finally agreed to make a phone call. She came back and registered it as a motorcycle without further comment. I mention this only to point out that you may have to dig deeper than the DMV clerk to find out what the vehicle is in your state.

Note also that typically motorcycles do not have to pass any sort of crash testing. My Xebra only goes 35 mph, so I'm not too concerned. But some of these three-wheel concept cars are promoted to go freeway speeds. Consider whether you want to drive 70 mph in a vehicle that has not been crash tested. Maybe you're okay with that. Two-wheel bikers obviously are. That's fine, as long as you are aware that there are no safety standards for these things.

7. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would NEVER consider it for highway with all the giant trucks !!! but I could see it being great for city only- One of my goals when I retire is to move someplace that I don't need a CAR. It's a huge expense.