1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What was the most beloved car you ever owed?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by pepa, Dec 14, 2004.

1. pepa

pepa New Member

did you ever owed a car that you loved so much you cried when you parted with it?

I did just that today, when I donated my 1991 Toyota Camry to Salvation Army Rehab center. It was truly chilling to drive her for the last time. I felt like a traitor.

My old faithful 1991 Toyota Camry was replaced by 2005 Prius. I commute 72 miles one way, and with the gas prices and reliability requirements - well, the time has come...

I bought the vehicle brand new in November 1990, and never had a problem with the wonderful machine since. Of course some maintenance was done, and aside from standard stuff such as muffler and brakes, I also replaced alternator, starter and the radiator. In return she gave me unforgettable 240,000 miles, and still making 33 MPG.

Had to watch the oil lately, but other than that, she served me so well. I just loved the car so much... Wrote this little sticker on how to treat the old lady right, and placed it on the dashboard. If followed, I'm sure the car will give the new owner another at least 50,000 miles.

So it's a sad day today, parting with my old friend. Hopefully my new Prius will take Camry's place with honor. Will let you know when I reach 240,000 miles on it.

:( :cry: :cry:

2. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i've written about it here before.... but i love to remember it...

the first car i owned was a 1969 427cu in 390 hp 4-speed t-top Corvette Sting Ray.

it was my daily driver for 42,000 miles.

12mpg, average; rain, snow, clear, whatever weather. shift speeds at suitably near-max rpms were: 50, 70, 90 mph. i could cruise in second gear at 55mph.

one day some kids in a hopped up mustang pulled up next to me at 55mph. i waved and smiled.

they waved and smiled and the driver downshifted, keeping pace with me.
    i downshifted, keeping pace with them, and smiled back.

i then downshifted again, still keeping pace with them.

they frowned.

i then punched the gas and left them in the dust.
    oh, for those 29-cent-a-gallon horsepower days!
    :)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my Prius is the best car ive ever had by far.

i did have a fiat X1-9 that was fun to drive. my Datsun 280 ZX was cool too. also had a 65 Chevelle that was nice but my Prius still tops all them...

also had an 87 corolla that i put the most miles on. its still in the family. gave it to my nephew

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I really loved my '91 BMW 525. Bought new in Germany and driven there for the first 5500 miles. Autobahn capable to 135MPH and at that speed it was so stable. At more realistic US highway speeds of about 70 it was able to average 26 MPG. Mileage actually fell when speeds were under 60 MPH.

Owned till Oct '03, when with 154,000 miles, my daughter was spooked by an ambulance backing up on a freeway onramp causing her to hit the car in front of her, causing extensive sheet metal damage and airbag deployment. Luckily she didn't hit the ambulance. The car was totaled by the insurance company. The payoff was the down payment for my Prius.

5. ~HondaMan~

~HondaMan~ New Member

I would have to say by far my first car is the best ever. And I still have it for ever. :D It is a 1994 Honda Civic DX with a 1.5L stock engine. Also it has a short ram air intake and a DNX Cat-Back exhaust (loud). Man does that thing sure have some get up and go to it, but it lacks in top speed. It gets about 30 mpg

Now on the other hand my dad's car has a lot of speed and acceleration to it. It is a 1991 Toyota Mr2 with t-tops and a 2.0L engine. It has been lowered 1.25 inches. It is really nice.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    1977 VW Rabbit. I drove it all thru high school and college. LOTS of stories to tell in that thing. It was my 1st car and I put over 200,000 miles on it. It took me everywhere, stranding me only once on an interstate, coming back from a friend's Missouri wedding, in the pouring rain. I had VERY sad feelings when it died.
    We had 3 Rabbits (the cars) at one time and the neighbors used the ol' "rabbits sure do multiply" line more than once! Easy to work on, it was how I learned from my Dad how to change oil, struts, brakes, etc. And the stereo I just had to put in it...wow...the memories. Great little car. At the end of every year my brother, myself, and my Dad would add up all the MPG from the previous year to see what we all were getting. If I remember right it was 29 MPG that usually won. Mom drove a GM car, she didn't want to shift all the time. Anyway, great topic...now, of course I'm falling for the Prius as most beloved.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1990 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6. It was quite simply the nicest car I ever owned. It had every bell and whistle except leather. Comfortable, powerful, and an all out luxury car for some little nobody of a PC repair tech.

Then I decided I'd be happier driving trucks. After my first year, I was bankrupt, homeless, and watched them take that car away. :(

I find myself sometimes wondering if there is a very low mileage example hidden away somewhere, waiting to be found by me. :)

Then again, they were examples of Hyundai, when they were still having LOTS of quality issues......

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before my Prius replaced it, my favorite cars go in stages.
    1. The young and wild years-1976 Volare Road Runner, spitfire Orange 360 cid

2. The young married years- 1978 Plymouth Arrow Gt. Reminds me of the Prius in terms of realiablity. Put 80k on it and never needed anything except rountine maintaince.

3. The kids growing up and great family vacation years. 1994 Dodge B150 8 pax. van. We had a lot of great trips but glad i don't have it now LOL.

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to say a 68 RS Camaro. Had it quite a few years ago. 327/4-spd, Deluxe interior, AM/FM, AC, Gauge pack in console. If I only still had it. :roll:

Or maybe it was the 83 Z-28 with HO 305 (don't laugh). 5-spd, T-tops, and no AC. 3:73 axle and would run low/mid 15's. Very nice car with low miles when I picked it up,less then 20k.

11. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    '68 Camaros were nice! Well built, too.
    I'm sentimental about all of the cars I've driven, and hate to part with them. The one that I wish I still had was the 1940 Chrysler New Yorker. Suicide doors, running boards. You could sit in the back seat, stretch your legs, and just barely touch the front seat. It was my older brother's car, but I got to drive it when I turned 16. I think it got about seven mpg.

12. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My 1979 Toyota Corolla silver station wagon. It started out as my dad's work car, but he let me drive it when it was brand new and gave it to me in 1985. It was all mine until I got my first new car in 1996. I drove it by meself on a roadtrip from Indiana to California when I came to CA to go to college, I never moved back! It served me well. I had over 300,000 miles on it when I sold it. I never had any major repairs on it, just normal wear and tear. My mechanic was in love with it, too. It broke my heart to replace it. I still look for it on the freeway!

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it's a tossup between 71 Honda AN600 or my 66 Ranchero 289 4 speed. The Honda would give you 55 mpg if you drove it at 60 mph or 60 mpg at 55 mph. 2 cylinder 4 on the dash, basic transportation. Ranchero, fun car, Walker Blue Bottles on it and you should have heard the nice rumble it made down town in the high rises. Loved the over square 289 as it'd rev like no tomorrow. Got more than my share of noise tickets with that one. Just 2 out of a list of about 35 I've owned.

14. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 1975 Bricklin SV-1. A really fun car, but a pain to maintain!

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"75781)</div>
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loved their 2-cylinder Honda. Mine was the 72 Z600, and it gave me fun, reliable, and economical transportation throughout college. One of the things that I liked about the Prius, was the shifter on the dash. I didn't understand why people thought that it was unusual, it made sense to me. :)

[img=left:762592d212]http://priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1127[/IMG]

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    already answered this once. but besides the Prius, i think my fave "transportation" had to be my Kawasaki 650. had it for 4 years in So. Ca, and it was the best way for the traffic there was for getting around. lane splitting was legal and i had it before the helmet law was enacted. in fact, i sold it because of the helmet law. (ya, i know, i was STUPID for taking that kind of risk)

17. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA\";p=\"75989)</div>
    I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who loved their 2-cylinder Honda. Mine was the 72 Z600, and it gave me fun, reliable, and economical transportation throughout college. One of the things that I liked about the Prius, was the shifter on the dash. I didn't understand why people thought that it was unusual, it made sense to me. :)

[img=left:d4ef2794b4]http://priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=1127[/IMG][/b][/quote]

I want one of these. I remember riding in one back when I was a kid. It was the goofiest car I've ever seen and ridden in, and loved it at first sight.

18. nannyandnutro

nannyandnutro New Member

19. Hornhonker

Hornhonker New Member

1973 BMW 2002tii. Bought it new and put 54k miles on it.

20. CAToyotasales

CAToyotasales New Member

I had a 69 Camaro SS a 1964 chevrolet Biscayne a 73 pontiac (8 mpg) and a 49 chevy 3100 pick up and now i drive daily my 2001 camry gallery edition my favorite was the pontiac (43000 mile all original all mint 7.5 liter motor getting 8 mpg on premium i loved it :)