1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What was your first vehicle?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by perryma, Aug 31, 2008.

1. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My first was a 1973(4?) Jeep CJ5. It was white with black interior and my favorite way to drive it was with the top off,the doors off and the windshield folded down onto the hood. :cool:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1978 red Ford Pinto hatchback with black interior. That was the first car I owned.

I drove several that belonged to my parents until I bought my own.

3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First vehicle?

Easy, 1958 RF trike. All the bells and whistles as I recall.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :D yes, the TRIKE!!!

The first I owned was a 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback, blue, named Blueberry (I was living in Maine). Like someone else already posted, my folks purchased a few used cars for me to use to commute to college and such. But I didn't own those.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1972 Jeep C-J5, metallic forest green, white rag top, 304 V8 engine. I loved that Jeep.

Tom

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1979 Honda Accord 3dr hatchback, blue, no AC, $8200 CDN. Great car had it until 1987 when I bought another Accord in 1987 which was 4dr sedan with A/C. Just to illustrate how prices rise over time this one cost $18,700 but I did keep it for 12 years.

douglasjre likes this.
  7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A 1973 Pymouth Duster with a 225 cubic inch slant six engine.

A funny story: As an 18 year old kid, I thought it was hot. But it needed to be hotter. So I outfitted it with a variety of accessories (nothing performance-wise): pinstriping (a not so perfect DIY job), fake mag wheel hubcaps, carpeting inside the back window, wooden steering wheel, etc., etc. I was refueling one day at a full service station (you young folks don't know what those are, do you? ;)). As was customary back then, the attendant checked the oil. After he popped the hood, he looked at the engine for a moment, glanced around and looked at the outside of the car, looked at the engine again, glanced around and looked at the inside of the car, looked at the engine again, then asked, "Where's the other half of your V12?"

Smarta**! :boink:

8. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

My first car was a 1927 Essex. A local farmer had been using it as a chicken coop for the previous 10 years. Since he stopped raising chickens, he said I could have it if I could haul it away. I borrowed my dad's pickup truck and with the help of a friend, we hauled it home where we shoveled out all the chicken poop and hosed down the interior. At the same time, we had the old battery on a charger. Then we put some gas in her and to evertone's surprise, it started up. It ran quite rough until I replaced a broken spark plug. I used it for a year in high school. This is the only car that I made a profit on. I got it free and sold it a year later for $20.

9. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My parents gave me my dad's 1969 Mustang for Xmas once year. My favorite car up to the Prius...

douglasjre likes this.
  10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the tricycle, Samiam! That was my first vehicle, too. I still ride a recumbent three wheeler, believe it or not, though it's slightly more sophisticated and much faster. :)

11. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tricycle was my first vehicle, too. I don't recall the shinny red, probably hand me down as I was the 3rd kid.

First car, a '64 VW bug, light green.

12. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My first car was a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk. 289 cu in V8 small bore / long stroke. Engine turned aluminum dashboard & all the guages standard. What a sweet ride that was!

13. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, not counting the "sit-and-scoot" fire engine or the trike, that'd be a 1970 Chevy Chevelle with a 1968 straight-6 engine that my dad rebuilt.

14. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My first is the second oldest car posted so far. In 1963 my great uncle gave me his used 1953 Plymouth. This car was an economy car before we had the concept. Plymouth used the same engine from 1953 until 1959. The body of the cars got larger but the peppy little engine fit the little 1953 perfectly. It was small among the behemoths of the times but I remember it was large enough to hold an entire nine member girls softball team I was the beau for. I never complained about the crowding:p .

douglasjre likes this.
  15. lenalik2000

lenalik2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My first car was a green 1972 AMC Javelin 360 V8. I'm still own it.

douglasjre likes this.
  16. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine was a 1960 Ford Ranch Wagon. The floorboards were rusted out behind the rear wheel wells, whenever I drove on a dry gravel road, I had to roll the windows down to suck the dust out :heh: you also had to shovel snow out of the back in the winter. It also had vacumn operated wipers, on a rainy day whenever you would step on the gas, the wipers would stop, one day, dad had the vacumn lines replaced, the first rainy day after that, I turned the wipers on full like I was used to, the wipers must have flipped water a good 30 yards to either side :eek:

17. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    First car car was a 1976 Ford Pinto.... RED! :D I thought it was such a cool car. I outfitted the front side fenders with mirrored roadrunner stickers. :lol:

18. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine was a 1972 Chevy Chevelle, man I loved that car!! Wish I still had it, brings back a lot of good memories..:)

douglasjre likes this.
  19. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The first car I owned (or held title to) was a 1968 Olds Cutlass 442. Got my first ticket for "participating in a speed contest" two weeks later. I doubt I'll get one of those in the Prius. The Olds averaged about 8 mpg, but gas was a whole lot cheaper then.

douglasjre likes this.
  20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had a trike of my own as a kid, always had to share being the 6th child from a working class family of 8 children.
    My first vehicle that was just mine was my bicycle, an ex postie bike with 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears and just rear brakes. It was so heavy I thought it was made of lead. I got it when I was 12 years old, a hand me down from my brother and he got it as a Christmas present, dad bought it at the government auctions.

My first motor vehicle was a 1970 Yamaha DT100A motorbike in 1978 closely followed by a 1969 Ford XW Falcon base model sedan. Although I paid for it my dad arranged the purchase from News Limited, the company he worked for. As the fleet buyers special it had a 188ci 6 cylinder engine, 3 speed manual with no syncro in first gear, vinyl bench seats with seat-belts only for 2 in the front and as a cost saver it didn't have arm rests or overhead grab handles!! Even the heater was an after market unit which had no fan and no demist setting. On a 40 degree Celsius day you could cool off by opening 2 doors under the dash as well as winding down the windows and opening the quarter windows. This would lower the temperature inside the car to 40 degrees Celsius, beautiful!! Oh, and there was no radio!