1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What we need is ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by notetojenn, Jun 15, 2007.

1. notetojenn

notetojenn New Member

I'm just curious...

Is there any practical reason why a hybrid biodiesel/electric car would be impractical to manufacture and own?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livegreen @ Jun 15 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]462669[/snapback]</div>
    Diesels are heavier, run hotter, and produce more particulates compared to gasoline engines. Perhaps some of these shortcommings can be overcome.

3. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

You sure you aren't just thinking of the old diesel engines and not the new clean diesel ones?

It could be that diesel already has a ton of torque at low RPMs. The electric engine is supposed to provide a lot of torque at those low RPMs that gas engines just can't. Diesels can so I don't know how much it would help. No doubt it would help the city mileage, but overall I'm just not too sure.

I could be wrong though. I don't know a ton about car stuff as it is.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Jun 15 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]462746[/snapback]</div>
    No, ANY diesel is heavier (Higher Compression requires more metal), runs hotter (Unless they're hot they won't run efficiently) and produces more particulates (The nature of the beast). The new "Clean" Diesels are about as clean as the dirtiest legally allowed cars.

By benefit of getting good mileage, Diesels can produce less CO2 per mile than Gasoline Engines, but you have to be sure to correct for the higher energy density of Diesel fuel or you get a deceptive comparison.

Diesels make great sense as hybrids in some applications, like trains and heavy equipment, busses, and long haul trucks.

They make less sense in smaller vehicles.

For one thing, starting Diesel Engines is dirtier and more difficult than starting Gasoline Engines. Diesel engines can also be very rough stopping. The added energy to start one, and the added engineering to clean up the start cycle are both negatives (one efficiency, and one cost).

Also, Diesels don't get fully efficient until they're up to temperature so start-stop means more time running in a less efficient state.

So, most Diesel-Hybrid implementations likely won't include start-stop, and will thus not be as efficient in city/suburban driving. I suspect they'll do great on the open road though.

5. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Jun 17 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]463469[/snapback]</div>
    Sine the OP specifically suggested BIODIESEL over DIESEL, these points are moot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Jun 17 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]463469[/snapback]</div>
    On the other hand, these points are very good ones ... and are probably large factors into why we don't have diesel hybrid vehicles to date.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Jun 18 2007, 06:04 PM) [snapback]464307[/snapback]</div>
    Then you have the NOX problem magnified.

7. R1200GS

R1200GS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    heard biodiesel not really cleaner. just diff dirt. oops tempus i think is referring to this..