1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What wheels are on your Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NiMHpwr, May 20, 2005.

1. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

How many people have replaced the OEM wheels with something else.

I put the 17" Scion tC wheels on mine

post your pics

Justin

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks GREAT Justin!! I just recently did the same and can't be any happier with the looks and with the better handling!!

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiMHpwr\";p=\"91390)</div>

3. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice looking. How much better is the handling? What type of mileage hit did you take? What size tires?

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a set of the 2005 Scion TC wheels and tires too. It seems liked the most reasonable upgrade given the cheap prices of those wheels and tires as new take-offs on E-Bay.

Got mine for $400 plus shipping with 0 miles and w/center-caps. Took me about 2 months of looking daily but finally found them at the right price.

I can't wait for them to arrive so I can put them on and see how it drives and handles and looks in person.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 17" too. handling is improved by a lot. gas mileage is - 10mpg or so. if not more. I know have this "cap" of highest MPG i can get. Even if driving good. I can not get above 45mpg. I stay between 40 and 45. 40 if i drive really bad. 45 if i drive really good.

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You will LOVE them Cairo!! I am getting aprox 5 MPG less than with the stock wheels and Michelin Hydroedge tires.

The handling is MUCH improved over the stock wheels/tires and my issues of highway stability have greatly improved!!

Thanks!!

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507\";p=\"92735)</div>

7. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Who is the manufacturer of those wheels V8?? Also, which brand and size tires did you go with?

From the picture, it looks like the car has been lowered but I am guessing that it is the angle and the wheels that are on the car.

Thanks!!

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"92787)</div>

9. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

My wheels are great the handling is twice as good and I really like the way the tC wheels look on the Prius. As for the hit on mileage now I get around 40 mpg before I averaged around 43. It is tough to get 40 mpg on a car that could get 60 but I can make the sacrifice for style.

Justin

10. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is lower.. but not because of me. The 17" wheels are about an inch or so shorter than stock wheels. The tires are Kumho Ecsta 711's. and the tires are some.. thing.. Evolution racing rims.

Tire: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Model=ECSTA+711

Rim: uh.. uhh.. can't find it. again. I'll do a search and post later

11. mrteeny

mrteeny New Member

I put Scion TC wheels and the stock Bridgestone Potenza tires on about a month ago. While i love the look the car rattles a lot more. What air pressure are you guys running at in the front and back?

12. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try running them at 32 PSI at all 4 corners. This is the pressure that I have been running after much experimentation and seems to offer the best compromise between handling and ride quality.

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrteeny\";p=\"98519)</div>

13. HYACK

HYACK New Member

IMO, a 16" rim looks more natural on the Prius. 17" imo, just looks too jacked up or oversized. I personally don't appeal to the stock 15" New England wheel and because I can't seem to find a tire I like to fit the 16" wheels I've researched thus far, I am planning to go ahead with 17" by default.

It's a little more than I'd want to spend but I'm currently going with a wheel selected on Tirerack (Kazera KZ-U 17x7 chrome plated) and fitting this with the Avon M550 All season @ a $100/per.

The tire/wheel combo is also a little heavier than I'd want but according to the surveys it will afford additional rain/snow performance at more comfortable and quiet rides.

P.S. my #4 Prius just got in today (few days early), so i was informed...and I'll give maybe a week to get my preferred mods acquired then will post pics too and give my honest feedback.

14. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well personally I feel the 17" wheels fit the car quite well, they make a big difference in the appearance of the car. My wife loved the change and the car handles much better.

15. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just mounted my 17" Scion wheels last night and as far as looks go, there's no comparison to the stock wheels. For me it's like comparing leather to the cloth seats, it's just different.

For those who have 17" wheels, what PSI are you running?

I'm at 42 front/40 rear and it seems fine on the Potenza RE92's. My MPG are down, but I'm going to run a full tank to see what the hit is going to be.

I have to say that I freaked out a bit when I installed the Scion Wheels, they are shiny...very shiny 8) !

I'll post a picture when I get a chance to take one.

P.S. Thanks Cairo94507 for your referral on paint protection ...Jeremy did the install yesterday and it came out great!

16. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Question to all who are running mod Scion 17" rims with factory Potenza RE92s:

I just did a quick survery check at tirerack at it seems that overall customer satisfaction of the RE92s Noise comfort and Ride comfort (not to mention Wet Traction performance) are less than stellar. (Maybe the $120 Potenza G009 is feasible alternative?)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...are1=yes#Survey

So question then is if RE92 owners here have differing experience/opinions thus far, or maybe you don't have enough miles to make such a complete survey?

Thanks for any feedback as I will personally be in the 17" market within the month.

17. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since I've only had mine on one day now, I can only briefly comment on the tires. They are better than I though they'd be. I do hear more road noise while driving (not sure if this is due to the +2 tire charge or the tires themselves).

When I began looking for 17" rims and tires I planned on just getting the rims and adding Avon M550 tires from the Tire Rack. The M550's seemed to have the best ratings. If the Potenza RE92's don't workout I plan on swapping them out for the Avon's.

Maybe others have different views, but overall the tires seem noisy but generally ok for me and I'm really picky about ride quality.

18. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Interesting, PriusGuy, thanks for inputs.

I'm currently selecting a non-Scion 17" wheel found on tirerack and mating them w/the Avon M550 A/S. It will be pricey, more than the Scion set, but I'm just not comfortable with the Wet traction survey for the factory Potenzas and I personally prefer the look of the particular wheel over the Scion's.

Of other interest perhaps, the tirerack's Avon M550 size mounted to the Scion rim is a 215/45, whereas the specially selected 17" wheel for Prius model couples with a 205/45 sized tire (in my case, the Avon).

19. 925PriusGuy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took a few pics at lunchtime of my Scion wheels (with my cr*ppy treo camera).

20. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks GREAT 925!! I like the color too!! :p

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(925PriusGuy\";p=\"98786)</div>