1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What will our world be like next week?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Banjoman, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've had a lot of comments from those I've shown this to. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHWTLA8WecI

EDIT: The site contains a six minute slide show from You Tube entitled "Did You Know" or "Shift Happens". It demonstrates how the growth rate of knowledge, population and technology is possibly shifting world leadership from west to east. It is produced by Howie DiBlasi of the Durango School District, Durango Colorado. Special thanks to Hobbit for providing alternate media for an updated version here:

http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2006/08/did-you-know.html
    http://www.lps.k12.co.us/schools/arapahoe/.../didyouknow.ppt
    http://www.lps.k12.co.us/schools/arapahoe/.../didyouknow.mp3

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen it a few times over the summer and it is a pretty neat video. Thank you for posting it here. :)

Last week during my college's "People and Cultures Day", we had a bit "World Population" sign in front of the Associated Students office and we would update the World's and U.S.A.'s population ever hour. During the days of Wed. and Thursday there was an average of 9,000 people born EVERY HOUR in the world. The U.S. came in at an average of 330 people born per hour. To me that is a staghering figure even though I'm very aware of our planet's population dynamics.

What I also find scary is the increase in human consumption rates. While the U.S. was only growing by 330 people per hour, the consumption rate of the majority of those people will be very high compared to the global average which means they will consume a disproportionate amount of finite resources.

Here is a cool little slide show from NOVA that shows population from 2,000yrs ago to present.

Here are the population clocks.

I also wanted to add that in about 1yr we have added 3,235,619 people into the U.S.... Ouch! lol

3. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 28 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]531735[/snapback]</div>
    What do I think? It would have been nice if you had summarized the thing instead of posting a link to an idiotic youtube slideshow. Would have been nicer still to know what the source of the "information" is.

4. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 28 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]531752[/snapback]</div>
    When you go the the youtube site to view the posting, there is an updated version listed just to the right of the youtube screen that has a full set of credits. I like the version posted as it is more direct to my point than the updated one albeit sans credits.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 28 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]531755[/snapback]</div>
    But the point is we shouldn't just be posting pointers to outside stuff...esp. 6 minute videos...without some sort of summary of what the link points to, why you think it's significant, what you've done to confirm it's validity, etc. Of course the specifics vary be the type of post but it's not really appropriate to just post a youtube link. I know others have done so in the past, but it doesn't make it right.
    Perhaps you could edit your original post to include such data.

6. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 28 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]531760[/snapback]</div>
    Forgive me Dr. for I have sinned. Edit performed as penance.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and for those of us who don't mess with flash for any number of
    reasons, youtube links are even more useless. If you had a direct
    link to a standard format video file, like a generic mpeg, that
    would be different. If people finally wised up next week and
    .FLV and other half-nice person invented-in-a-vacuum formats were not worth
    supporting anymore, what would our world be like? More productive
    at the workplace, I bet..
    _H*

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't we being a little harsh here?

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 28 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]531774[/snapback]</div>
    when your workplace follows you around, any distraction is appreciated :)

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 28 2007, 11:09 PM) [snapback]531808[/snapback]</div>
    and for those of us who don't mess with Powerpoint for any number of
    reasons, Powerpoint links are even more useless. If you had a direct
    link to a standard format video file, like a generic mpeg, that
    would be different. If people finally wised up next week and
    .PPT and other half-nice person invented-in-a-vacuum formats were not worth
    supporting anymore, what would our world be like? More productive
    at the workplace, I bet..

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Oct 28 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]531815[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW, OpenOffice and NeoOffice, both free and open-source under the GNU license, will play powerpoint files. OpenOffice is available for Windows and Linux. NeoOffice is available for the Mac.

13. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So far in this thread Marshall McLuhan could take pride as his 1960's phrase "the medium is the message" has certainly been validated here. Sorry my one-click-to-watch link format didn't agree with so many. :(

Next time I'm interested in opinions on content rather than its media, I'll do some polling on acceptable formats and post a disclaimer so no one will have to discover they don't agree with it after investing a few moments to discover what it is. :huh:

Have a nice night.

14. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 28 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]531752[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, well one thinks that by now, one would know that a You Tube video link can be long, and one does not have to click on it, if one does not want to.

That is what I think.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 28 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]531776[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 29 2007, 01:36 AM) [snapback]531846[/snapback]</div>
    I thought it was fine. Thanks for your post.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 29 2007, 12:36 AM) [snapback]531846[/snapback]</div>
    Just to be clear....we (the mods) have no objection to posting a youtube link as long as there's some text to let people know what the link points to and maybe a few comments about the subject from you. If you truely want to show your love for your fellow man some sort of transcript is really nice too, but I fully realize this isn't always possible.
    FWIW I do appreciate Hobbit's link which did point to the Word and PDF version which took me about 30 seconds to read.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had to check, we are in FHOP aren't we?
    I liked the youtube thing but hey, what would I know, I'm an Aussie.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 29 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]531925[/snapback]</div>
    We already knew that. This video explains it all. :lol:

End of Ze World. NWS!!!

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 29 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]531925[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it's Fred's. And it's not a "rule", but it's kinda common courtesy.

19. Banjoman

Banjoman Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 29 2007, 05:59 AM) [snapback]531906[/snapback]</div>
    And this made you think. . .?

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(banjoman @ Oct 29 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]531978[/snapback]</div>
    Frankly I'm relatively unmoved by it. I think I'd seen this before several months ago and thought it was interesting to see the hard numbers put to it, but it's not something I didn't already appreciate in a more broad manner.

Yea the world is moving fast, that's what we do...what's next? I'm just enjoying the "ride".