1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Would Happen If High Water Enveloped...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John6012, Sep 11, 2007.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We've had a lot of rain in Oklahoma and Texas and many flooded cars up to windshields due to the drivers pressing on regardless of what may happen. I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but would there be an explosion due to high voltage or what? I know it wouldn't be like a downed power line but the car itself has high voltage...

2. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We've had a lot of rain in Oklahoma and Texas and many flooded cars up to windshields due to the drivers pressing on regardless of what may happen. I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but would there be an explosion due to high voltage or what? I know it wouldn't be like a downed power line but the car itself has high voltage...

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The high voltage system is protected by ground fault circuit interrupters. Even a tiny leakage current should open up all the relays, pretty fast. So shock and awe are supposed to be extremely unlikely.

If electrical shutdown, I doubt if you could drive any further on gas engine only (unsure). The gas engine would be subject to the same problems as any other car. Water entering through the transmission breather tube could do real damage later. A world of electrical connections problems are possible, down the road. The inverter coolant pump may not be waterproof, and you really really need that.

If at all possible, limit your water entry to below the door sills!

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The high voltage system is protected by ground fault circuit interrupters. Even a tiny leakage current should open up all the relays, pretty fast. So shock and awe are supposed to be extremely unlikely.

If electrical shutdown, I doubt if you could drive any further on gas engine only (unsure). The gas engine would be subject to the same problems as any other car. Water entering through the transmission breather tube could do real damage later. A world of electrical connections problems are possible, down the road. The inverter coolant pump may not be waterproof, and you really really need that.

If at all possible, limit your water entry to below the door sills!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 12 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]511108[/snapback]</div>
    You can't drive on gas only, although that's an academic point in this discussion, since the ICE would also be full of water.

Tom

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 12 2007, 01:38 AM) [snapback]511108[/snapback]</div>
    You can't drive on gas only, although that's an academic point in this discussion, since the ICE would also be full of water.

Tom

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is a big difference between a Prius and the power grid. If you drop a 220 V line into water, you can get steam explosions. There is essentially nothing to limit the current flow (though breakers somewhere will eventually trip).

In the case of the Prius, even if the ground fault breaker didn't work, there is very limited power available. You would probably get a little steam, and lots of damage to the electrical conductors, but no explosion. In my experience (sunken boats) most of the copper conductors disappear due to galvanic corrosion driven by the power. You end up with traceless PCBs and hollow insulation instead of wires. :) I've even seen leadless power transistors. :eek:

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is a big difference between a Prius and the power grid. If you drop a 220 V line into water, you can get steam explosions. There is essentially nothing to limit the current flow (though breakers somewhere will eventually trip).

In the case of the Prius, even if the ground fault breaker didn't work, there is very limited power available. You would probably get a little steam, and lots of damage to the electrical conductors, but no explosion. In my experience (sunken boats) most of the copper conductors disappear due to galvanic corrosion driven by the power. You end up with traceless PCBs and hollow insulation instead of wires. :) I've even seen leadless power transistors. :eek:

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 12 2007, 05:43 AM) [snapback]511179[/snapback]</div>
    Just to add to what Tom said -

If the ICE were running when water is ingested by the intake, the motor would most likely hydrolock (try to compress water in the combustion chamber) and would bend important parts. You want to avoid this.

If the ICE was not running when the main relays opened (due to Ground Fault) then the ICE would not be able to start because MG1/MG2 would not have power.

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 12 2007, 05:43 AM) [snapback]511179[/snapback]</div>
    Just to add to what Tom said -

If the ICE were running when water is ingested by the intake, the motor would most likely hydrolock (try to compress water in the combustion chamber) and would bend important parts. You want to avoid this.

If the ICE was not running when the main relays opened (due to Ground Fault) then the ICE would not be able to start because MG1/MG2 would not have power.

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, what nobody knows is that this is the secret behind Russia's "Dad of all bombs." All they did was put a Prius and a large tank of water in a rather large shell and then drop it from an old Tupelov bomber. **Poof** Largest non-nuclear conventional weapon.

As an aside, this also explains why GM was ordered by the Pentagon to crush all the EV1s. Can you imagine what would happen if you did the same thing with an all-electric? **Shudder**

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, what nobody knows is that this is the secret behind Russia's "Dad of all bombs." All they did was put a Prius and a large tank of water in a rather large shell and then drop it from an old Tupelov bomber. **Poof** Largest non-nuclear conventional weapon.

As an aside, this also explains why GM was ordered by the Pentagon to crush all the EV1s. Can you imagine what would happen if you did the same thing with an all-electric? **Shudder**

13. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  15. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW, for a real world data point: Steve the Prius parts guy in IN had a flooded car from Katrina when I was there a few months back. He had taken the HV pack out to use as a demo tool, as it was heavily corroded and completely useless. From what I saw there was absolutely no evidence of any sort of discharge event. No burnt wires, no melted terminals, no smoking black craters. Seems like everything worked exactly the way it should, and nothing happened.

The car I saw was this one, you can see the amount of corrosion around the battery in one of the last pics:
    http://www.autobeyours.com/04%20prius%20%20flood%20new.htm

Rob

16. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW, for a real world data point: Steve the Prius parts guy in IN had a flooded car from Katrina when I was there a few months back. He had taken the HV pack out to use as a demo tool, as it was heavily corroded and completely useless. From what I saw there was absolutely no evidence of any sort of discharge event. No burnt wires, no melted terminals, no smoking black craters. Seems like everything worked exactly the way it should, and nothing happened.

The car I saw was this one, you can see the amount of corrosion around the battery in one of the last pics:
    http://www.autobeyours.com/04%20prius%20%20flood%20new.htm

Rob

17. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Sep 12 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]511585[/snapback]</div>
    ROTFL!!! You're ok, Brick. :lol:

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Sep 13 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]512003[/snapback]</div>
    "That'll buff out"
    ROFLMAO!!!! :lol: