1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would happen if the fob goes away?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tickwood, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If while driving in an SE/SS equipped Prius the keyfob were to be suddenly lost out the window what would happen?
    A. would the car shut off?
    B. Keep running until powered off?
    C. Phone Tokyo for instructions?

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing. The car would continue to drive normally, untill you shut it off. Then it would not be drivable.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There would be an audible beep, but the car will keep going.

4. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know why it does this? I don't really like the idea that someone can just drive it away. Why didn't they make it so you couldn't shift into D, from the parked position, without the key. I mean, it is theoretically possible because it is Drive-By-Wire and it is a simple computer thing to not let it shift.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe the car must already be running for it to be driven without the SS/SE fob being in the car.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Benefit one: You can let a valet park the car, you keep the FOB, and be guaranteed the valet didn’t accidently give the car to someone else. Just let them know the car would be immovable till you return with the FOB.

Benefit two: Someone can park the car for you and not need to return the key to you.

Benefit three: If carjacked hit the park button and run like hell . . . your car will still be there.

If the car were to just die on the spot you would be SOL if the FOB battery were to die.

7. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love the Benefit Three!!!! LOL!!! Well, just the first part!! When ever someone says "...then run like hell" just cracks me up!!! :lol:
    But don't you mean the Power button, because it still runs without the fob...

8. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I know that, but don't like it if I just run in to get the Dry Cleaning and leave the car running.....

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    but will it shift in to drive from park without the Fob?

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you say so . . . I don’t know as I don’t have our Prii yet . . . so I haven’t had the chance to try every conceivable scenario yet. But God as my witness, I WILL!!!! With my background in aviation electronics, I’ll be firing-up this poor car like it was undergoing a flight simulator certification.

Has anyone tried this scenario yet?
    Say the car sensed my wife’s FOB first, then I drop her off at work. Does the Prii beep and go into “that†mode? Does the Prii latch on to one FOB at a time per start cycle? Will it not let me shift into drive without first shutting down and doing a restart with my FOB?

Inquiring minds want to know!

11. Medved

Medved New Member

Panic

I had a similar concern. I drove from Cleveland to Columbus, over a 2 hour ride, to my nephews wedding. When my fiance' and I got there and I shut off the car, got out and as I went to lock it from my side, NOTHING. Then I noticed I didn't have my FOB. A shear chill flowed thru my veins on that hot summer day thinking I would have to catch a ride back home to Cleveland, get my "forgotten" FOB, then turn back around in my fiance's car, for another 4-5 hour round trip.

Since we were dressed up, we weren't in our normal clothes, so my normal routine was disruppted. I started wondering if I had switched jackets at the last minute. My fiance had her "dress purse" therefor didn't bring her keys.

As it turned out, I have my FOB to my fiance, and she put it in her "dress purse". In hind site, I would have imagined that the car would not "GO" or at least give me some indication that I was doing something potential stupid, like drive of without the key.

Anyone else have any similar situations?

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "Why does the car keep running if the fob leaves?"

This is just speculation, but I believe the reason is safety: If the car were to stop in traffic or, worse yet, on a freeway, an accident could result.

If the battery dies, you can still run the car by inserting the fob in the slot, but if you are on the freeway when it happens, you don't want the car to stop just because the car no longer sees the fob.

If you are carjacked and permitted to leave, it's safer to let the thief drive away than have him demand the key because it won't go. And if it dies while he's driving, it could cause an accident that may injure an innocent person. And you still have the option, at your discretion, to hit the power button before leaving the driver's seat. That makes it your choice, rather than an automatic shut-off response.

All this in addition to the valet parking issues that Sufferin' mentions. Although his suggestion has a drawback: if the valet accidentally shuts off the car, or needs to move it once it's been parked, he'd have to get the key from you. But as to me personally, whether it be valet parking or car washes, I think I'd perfer to tell them, "This car is different. I'll drive it myself."

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Daniel is right, the car should keep running even if it cant see the fob.

what happens if the fob battery dies in the middle of a trip?

i would be one P.O'ed mutha if i was stranded in the middle of nowhere because some $3 watch battery died on me.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suggest a series of experiments. Start the car hand the fob off while in park. Shift does it work. Put it in gear flip the fob to some one. Need to do that in R and D. I would volunteer but my wife already thinks I am a nut case, besides she is lousy catch (don't tell her I said that). This is a case that cries out for data. From one of my professors "In the absence of data you can have any opinion that you wish"

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave: you would not be stranded. You would just have to put the fob in the slot. Even with a dead fob battery the car will start and run with the fob in the dashboard slot.

The problem is that if the car had to see the fob to keep running, it could stop and get you into an accident before you got the fob out of your pocket.

16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And the reason for doing this is? You have SS/SE, never have to take it out of your pocket. You should push the Park button when you leave the car, why not the Power button as well. Not a LOT of effort to push the Power button twice when getting your cleaning. :) I can *almost* see the "leave it running" argument if you don't have SS/SE because maybe you figure to have your arms full and don't want to fumble with the keys/fob, but (Prius not included) you are wasting a little gas and polluting the air a little more letting a car idle for "short trips at the store".

17. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My only practical experience on this issue was to put my Prius into ACC mode then walk the fob into the apartment. When I came back without it, I was able to go to Ready mode and drive, with no problem.

I have little use for any valet-friendly modes, so I'd prefer that the fob be required to get the car ready to drive...

18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, that is a little scary. Go to the car, pop into ACC, remember your forgot something in the house. Decide it is warm enough and put your coat down. Oops, can't start the car after you arrive at your destination!

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as i understand it, shifting into drive without the fob is possible but you may have to put up with a warning beep.

20. exces6

exces6 New Member

Can someone explain to me what SS/SE is please? Is that the Smart Entry/Start system? If so, what is the difference between it and the other method of starting/entry? If you don't have SS/SE, do you still have the buttons to unlock/lock your car on the fob and do you still stick the whole fob into the slot on the dash to start it?

Thanks.