1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hadone, Mar 6, 2011.

1. hadone

hadone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would you buy a new Prius II For 24700,or a used 2011 Camry with 27000 mile for 18000.00
    That is a lot of difference. Milage of 33 vs 51 but you can buy a lot of gas for 6700.00.

Life is not simple.

Thanks for noticing typo

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand your math. If I could find a new Prius for 14700, I would definitely buy it. I'd buy as many of them as the dealer would sell me!

3. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I think he means Toyota YARIS Ha..ah..
    Really look at one It's alot of car for 13 grand 40MPG
    2011 camry 27000 miles How?

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think $24,700 was meant, not 14. That fits with 6700 more than 18000.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    27,000 miles is a LOT of miles for a 2011. What is the car's history? Was it a demo? Was it a loaner or rental car?

All things being equal, the Camry is more car...but we need more background on this Camry.

6. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It depends how much gas goes up Some say 7 Bucks a gal or $10
    heard one talk guy on the internet say$15 a gal!!!
    That 6700 won't last long! Get the Prius it's new,you will be more than happy with it! Good luck.

7. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not THAT much ... at $5-6 a gallon a year from now .... :D

REV

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're comparing highway to highway ... overall to overall is more like 25 to 50 .... that's DOUBLE ....

REV

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought this thread was an ad for that stupid ABC show. Thank god.

+1.

Despite its image, the Prius is just as much of a car as the Camry, but it's also more of a statement car and a little more exciting tech-wise than the Camry. Nobody will give a hoot about a Camry but you'll receive a lot of love and some hate for the Prius. Depends what kind of person you are to handle that.

Nobody in their right mind buys a Prius over a Corolla/Camry, etc. thinking they'll make out saving more $$$$. So having realistic expectations is a must. If you commit yourself to the Prius I think you'll have a helluva time.

1 person likes this.
  10. newtoprius2010

newtoprius2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I struggled with the same thing. I think you need to compare new vs new, used vs used. When I compared new prius to a new camry, I heard that camry is getting redesigned in 2012. I stick with a car 10+ years and prius with its hybrid technology sealed the deal. I was prepared to pay the hybrid premium than going for a 2011 camry LE that is not going to be fuel efficient in long run. I am not a tree hugging kinda person but I'd feel much better not putting that 6700 into the oil companies. (again if you are comparing city to city it is is like 51 mpg vs 22 mpg).

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You get a smoother, quieter better handling car out of the Camry over the Prius, mainly due to better sound deadening and the independent rear suspension (the Prius has a live rear axle). The Camry has midsized interior volume, but seating areas are narrower than in the Camry. If you want a highway cruiser, the Camry is a real upgrade from the Prius. If you want an around town car, the Prius is better suited to that.

12. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think either car is over-priced, especially a Prius II for 24,700. Give Toyota Certified Used Cars a search and see if you can't find a cheaper Prius II. Ultimately, I'd want a Prius over a Camry.

13. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    find a better price on the prius and buy it

14. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^this.

15. hadone

hadone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is rental but is from a Toyota dealer so it is certified. Thanks for the response so far.

I guess the question is there a reasonable payback in say 6 year?

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would absolutely never, never ever buy a rental. So IMHO the Camry is out.

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey now Steve, I bought my Prius as a Certified PreOwned loaner car in great condition and it's had no issues. You are implying that single owners take better care of their car but that's not necessarily true. In fact, in many cases, rentals/loaners may even be in better shape than single owner cars because single owners can be just as harsh to a car for its lifetime, and can be responsible for things such as chronic bad car washing or hard driving (vs. I doubt someone would wash a rental). No, renters aren't going to baby a rental car either, but they certainly won't trash it more than they would to their own car. In any case, if you have a bad driver on a rental it only lasts a week maybe. Simply put, a single owner car doesn't guarantee anything. And finally a car doesn't care how many owners/drivers its had. It can't tell who's driving the car and it certainly doesn't have feelings.

Now, this is only how I feel about Toyota loaners from the Toyota dealership w/ low miles. I can't say the same thing about a car from Hertz that has thousands and thousands of miles on it.

However, I would absolutely never, never ever buy a Camry. So IMHO the Camry is out. :p

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just know the condition of the loaner cars that I get from the LEXUS dealer...they are beat all to hell with only 5,000 miles on them...smoked in...eaten in...do you think people worry about missing potholes in loaner cars? Or bumping curbs when parking? This particular car, 21,000 miles in 6 months absolute tops, what kind of miles were those? City miles? Miles doing doughnuts in parking lots? Washboard city roads? No way to know.

Really? YouTube - rental car abuse

I would say that in general people are less kind to things that belong to others, than they are of things that belong to them. I think few would argue that point...

Sorry...but I would never, ever buy a rental or loaner car. Plenty of good low mile pre-owned cars out there, you just gotta look a little.

19. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ditto. Never. Ever.

Rentals and loaners may not get beat on my everyone but those who do, really do. And they do it because it is not theirs and they know they are giving it back.

20. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a service loaner, rental or other dealer used vehicle. I'm not ashamed to save $$$$ many, many dollars. I bought a dealer demo and I have no complaints.