1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What'd happen if you press the P while you drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by toyolover, Mar 9, 2010.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Any one knows what'd happen if you accidentially press the P button while driving under normal city speed? You can surely kiss the transmission goodbye if it is a regular car. What would happen to the Prius since it is all electronical control and not mechanical like most other cars. :cool:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    beeps and goes into neutral.

1 person likes this.
  3. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If that's the case, why didn't the old man (with the run away 2008 Prius yesterday) pressed the P button to put the car in N? BTW, did you really try this before?

4. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Or what would happen if you pressed the Power button while driving on the freeway?

Someone else try it and let me know.

;)

5. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Press the Power button while cruising on the highway brings no noticeable change until you attempt to overtake another vehicle. You will feel the power comes immediately. What the Power button does is for the computer to switch to another program to give you immediate boost from the electric motor. You may look at it as the turbo charge kick in but in a small way. I always do that while driving on the highway and before I overtake another vehicle.

6. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So pressing park while driving puts it in neutral then ? Good to know.

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you are going a slow walking pace, in which case it puts it in park (and jerks to a stop). I have read the speed which determines which happens, but can't remember. My opinion is that if you think you put it in park and don't, then let off the brake, if it starts rolling it is not unusual to hit the park button in a panic. That slow, it will stop (so I believe it is a safety feature).

I have hit park more than once while driving by mistake (going for the power button for the stereo and hit park instead). It just goes into neutral.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've tried it. Many of us have tried it. Don't do it at low speed. At low speed the parking pawl will engage and you will stop very quickly. At anything above a couple of mph the Prius shifts instantly to N.

Tom

9. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think one of you is talking about the power mode control, and the other is talking about the one that switches the vehicle off!

10. halfmoonray

halfmoonray New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  11. Facetime

Facetime New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually a regular car has a lockout that would save it from damage if put in park at speed. The Prius simply goes into neutral. A good way to deal with a runaway.

td

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mythbusters tested reverse at 50 mph in a manual and automatic along w/park at 50 mph. We've already spoiled it for you, but there's a video of it at

That said, I don't think I want try either in my regular automatic car.

13. flbntz

flbntz My First Toyota

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought about P, but didn't want to wreck my car. Why do people always want to do what they know they shouldn't? We are so devious!

14. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not old cars - they would just sheer off the park pin (assuming it engaged - sometimes it would just grind away at the teeth it engages in).

15. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, wait...I meant what happens if I push the Prius on-off Power button while driving on the freeway...not putting the engine in power mode.

If my 2002 Pontiac Montana were to start uncontrolled acceleration, I could just turn the key to the off position, killing power to the engine. I'd lose the power-assist for steering and brakes, but I'd also no longer be accelerating. I want to know if hitting the Power button on the Prius would have the same effect.

Or is the Prius too "smart" for that?

16. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You have to hold ON/OFF for 3 seconds. It will have a similar effect as your Pontiac.. power steering and brakes would be lost.

17. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If that's true, then why didn't the drivers of out-of-control accelerating Toyotas do that? It would be one of the first things I would have thought to try.

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This has been covered about a thousand times, several of the times are in this thread. But to save everyone from looking, here we go again:

Power Button - Press and hold for about 3 seconds. The Prius powers down into a zombie state, where most systems are powered off and the car shifts to N. To resume driving you must stop the car, power off, and power back on.

N - Pull the shifter to N and hold for about a half second. The Prius shifts to N. All systems remain active. To resume driving, pull the shifter to D.

R - Pull the shifter to R. The Prius instantly shifts to N. All systems remain active. To resume driving, pull the shifter to D.

Park button - Press the park button. The Prius instantly shifts to N. All systems remain active. To resume driving, pull the shifter to D.

Notes:

Anytime the Prius is in N all drive power is removed from the wheels. Likewise regenerative braking does not function, nor does the engine recharge the HV battery.

Depressing and holding the Power button will kill power to the drive wheels. The 3 second delay and loss of power assist makes this a less attractive option.

Pressing the Park button works well, but don't do it at very low speeds. If you press the Park button while creeping, the Prius may drop the parking pawl, causing a *very* sudden stop. This is not a problem at speeds above a crawl.

I recommend pressing the Park button if you need to remove power in a hurry.

Tom

4 people like this.
  19. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally they panic and repeatedly stab the button, which is not the same as pressing and holding.

Tom

20. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm surprised this isn't made more obvious in the mainstream media stories. Could save lives.

Of course, I'm also surprised that the mainstream media didn't check to see if that San Diego Prius driver owned a Honda or Kia dealership...

(Actually, qbee42, no one in this thread had said what happens if you push the Power button while driving...but thanks for the info anyway).