1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's a better deal?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by CheeseheadPrius, Feb 3, 2011.

1. CheeseheadPrius

CheeseheadPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I can pick up a 2010 IV with the Solar pckg for $27720 + TTL or a 2010 IV no options for $25235. + TTL. Both prices have the $1000. rebate included and both also have floor mats.

A trade in on the more expensive one I was quoted $9000. for my truck which is about $2000. lower than KBB & Edmunds say. The other offer I don't have a trade in price yet but they have all my truck info.

Those prices seem good but if they lowball me on my trade then they get a better deal? Should I bite for one or the other deal if the trade in amts are the same or try for more on my truck?

Thanks for any insights on this.

2. fritzlouise

fritzlouise New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just picked up a 2011 III with solar, navigation, and floor mats for $25000 in Naples, Fla -- not a low cost area! Cash transaction but dealer was more than willing to deal.

Just negotiate the best deal you can and don't bother with a trade-in. Dealers want to give you you wholesale price for a vehicle they will turn around and sell at retail.

For example, I have a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with 87K miles in excellent condition. Dealer offered me $4250 in trade and I suspect I can probably get around $6800-$7000 selling it myself. True, it is a hassle to sell privately but I just refuse to give away a perfectly good trade-in vehicle to a dealer..

Hope this helps and best of luck. I love my new Prius!!

3. CheeseheadPrius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with you, not having to deal with trading a vehicle in is the best way to go. That's normally what I would do but circumstances dictate I trade the truck this time. I've had it for sale but haven't had any bites and am afraid I'll miss out on the deals for the 2010's.

Of course extra cash from a private sale would make up for that and I'd get an '11. Unless I had to wait till summer for a sale and fuel prices rise then no one would want the truck and dealers would be asking premiums for the Prius. Oh the humanity!!!!

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Go to www.aaa.com where you can build a car & get up to 3 dealer quotes. Get the car you want. If you really want a sunroof it doesn't matter how much the other car costs as you won't like it. Do your best to get the color & package you really want.

5. CheeseheadPrius

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My car is out there somewhere it's just my trade in that's complicating things for me. I'm like fritzlouise above and hate to just give stuff away to the dealer. I hope I don't wind up doing that.