1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's behind the plexi of the radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by R-P, Dec 6, 2011.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most likely a totally stupid question, but does the plexi on the radio have any function?

I'm asking because my (second hand) Prius has a Parrot bluetooth kit and the remote is glued onto the lower plexiglass front (miniature glove compartment where some install the aftermarket radio).
    When pushing its buttons (of the remote), the door sometimes flips open :confused:. Looks to me the radio would have been a far more logical choice for glueing this remote and I will try to see if I can get it off without breaking it and put it back 4 inches higher, on the radio...

But if I'm missing something, I'd obviously would like to know.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's merely a cover (that happens to be translucent than solid plastic). Ditto the small compartment (where if there wasn't that aftermarket radio, it's where you would store CD jewel cases or objects of similar size).

3. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you!

This is indeed exactly what got me wondering if I was missing something.

BTW: I don't have that aftermarket radio, I just have the small compartment still intact. Depending on the quality of the OEM radio, it may stay that way...;)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh sorry, I saw remote and assumed it was an aftermarket radio despite the fact that you said a Parrot Kit! oops!

Depends which radio you have and your music preferences. I have the JBL audio on our 2005 (9-speaker setup with centre-mounted speaker) and it was ok. Not great compared to the JBL audio system in our 2002 Camry (6-speaker setup). I actually disabled the centre speaker on the 2005 Prius to improve sound (since the centre speaker is not a stereo speaker and was there to fill in the sound but it had too much midrange and made the music sound hollow)

5. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    R-P,
    can you post a pic of your parrot setup???

6. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's what I have without going out to the car and take new pics ;)
    I will try to get some more pics tomorrow.

[​IMG]

7. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the Parrot work good??? I don't have bluetooth and I wish I did...

8. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've only had the Prius for a week (today), and have only made 1 or 2 calls.

I've been fighting a little with the bluetooth audio streaming and I read you can hook up two phones, but the option didn't show up...
    Turns out I had to update firmware, which didn't work from a specific USB stick, but after a lot of hassle: it works now. :D

Pairing is easy, calls so far have been OK and the system *probably* works with its own amp, so that'll be a challenge to get to work with the OEM headunit and external amps. (I don't like speakerlevel converters and the switching may cause severe plops in the external 4x70Wrms amp I may put in...)

From what I've read I think it hooks up into the OEM wiring, switching the loudspeakersignal from the headunit OFF by switching a relay to its own amp's outputs (2x20W class D?) the moment you get a call. This means it can work with just about any radio, and the iPod+jack-plug+USB connector can play MP3's or headphone-outputs the same way (through the Parrot amplifier using the Parrot remote as a volume knob, so not the steeringwheel-buttons!!!)

So far: I'm satisfied.
    My JVC headunit (bluetooth as well) in my other car keeps forgetting it is linked to my and my wife's phone so it's always a surprise if you'll have hands-free operation :( and can only handle one phone at a time I think. To be fair, it is from 2007 and can't be upgraded (firmware) so it is bound to loose out on functionality.

Parrot-remote (next to gearlever in pic) was missing the original knob, so replaced it with what I had lying around.

[​IMG]

Switched ON and remote on the radio instead of on the fold-down-flap-to-the-mini-glove-compartment-thingy:

[​IMG]

BTW: if you look at my glove-compartment, you'll see it is damaged and they cut a little piece out of the silver plastic: they had the iPod/USB/jack-plug dangling out of this 'hole' from the glove compartment. I found out why when hooking up a USB-stick with music: there is no way of switching it OFF I think unless you jank it out of the USB slot... Will investigate this further, as it looks very weird that this would be the case...