1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's deadband acceleration?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by burritos, May 19, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How do you do it?

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 19 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]258380[/snapback]</div>
    Well the easy and obvious answer is "very carefully". Technically it is hard to do. You need to accelerate so that there is no energy flow to or from the battery on the MFD energy screen, just from the ICE to the wheels. You need to remember that the MFD tends to over state the actually case in the car. Other monitors may more accurately reflect what is happening in the car. Look at some of the posts on the CAN View. You can get close to no flow on the CAN View but real "0" flow is hard to get to. On the positive side you can look at the RPMs and keep them in known optimal ranges. Gliding is similar. The MFD shows no flow at all when in fact you are spinning at least one of the MFDs and you are using some energy in doing that. That is not "0" flow either. I tend to try to go for small amounts of charging in the range of 4-10 amps charging range, rather than going for "0".

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As far as I know, there is no such thing as "deadband acceleration." You can coast and you can glide while using little energy, but you can NOT accelerate while using no energy.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 19 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]258423[/snapback]</div>
    Deadbanding was never intended to imply that you are using "no" energy, just that you were using only the ICE in it's most optimal range with out contribution of power to MG2 from either the battery or the ICE spinning MG1 to provide power to MG2 to propel the car. You can get there but it is very, very hard and momentary at best... at least on my part. Milage varies.

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Deadbanding will either occur during acceleration, or more typically, while going up hill. There is no flow to or from the battery, but both the ICE and the electric motor will show arrows to the wheels. Deadbanding occurs when the both the ICE and MG2 are providing power to the wheels and the power being produced by MG1 is exactly equal to that is needed by MG2. Instead of retifying the AC to DC and then inverting the DC back into AC, MG1 is capable of directly powering MG2. Since there are loses in converting AC to DC (and vice versa) it is more efficient to power MG2 directly.

BTW, I never cared for the term "deadbanding" and always thought that "balanced" was more descriptive.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ May 19 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]258442[/snapback]</div>
    That would have made more sense to me as well! Sorry...I should have kept quiet about that which I did not know!