1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's going to be the deciding issue for the prez election 2008?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Nov 21, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Iraq or the economy? Looks like we're heading for recession. I know this is going to sound insensitive, but I don't think americans are going to care as much about the Iraq casualty list when they, or their family, or their friends are losing their homes. I think the economy is going to overtake the Iraq war as the issue in which people will elect on.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Both.

I think the Iraq War is going to be seen as the major drag on the economy. So it's going to be end the war so we can start taking care of business at home, the first being the economy.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 21 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]542509[/snapback]</div>
    Burritos, I personally have to agree with you on that one. In my opinion, when the war in Iraq gets too scary, people will simply turn their televisions off if they haven't already. Or they'll just watch something more lighthearted.

But when the foreclosure man comes for your house, there's no avoiding that. Or when the neighbors are moving out because they are downsizing - which leaves you between two vacant houses - there's no denying that. When it costs more than $100 to fuel the guzzler once a week, people take notice.

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the deciding issue hasn't come up yet. (Americans have a short attention span).

Here's my prediction: peak oil

The <strike>oil companies</strike>/Republicans are going to trot out peak oil as an issue in the summer of 08. After years of lying about reserves and misleading Americans to keep driving guzzlers, they'll do an about face and say worldwide production is declining fast and we're in trouble. Therefore we need to stay in the ME to ensure we still have access to oil and hence, an economy. This move also kills the global warming issue for the Democrats, since declining oil means declining CO2 anyways. They'll also push ANWAR/coastal drilling/relaxed environmental laws with this position too.

5. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 21 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]542541[/snapback]</div>
    As long as we have our televisions working, McDonald's at every corner, and gas to put in our guzzlers, Americans will be happy. Take any of these away and watch out- you'll see people protesting on the streets.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Nov 21 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]542552[/snapback]</div>
    No way PO will be the issue of the day for Joe Blow. Too complicated. It certainly is a relevant issue, but people will listen to it like they listen to Ron Paul talk about the Fiat Monetary system. The democrats are just going to ride to momentum of the economy tanking and Iraq tanking to a win to the potus and increased control in both houses.

I don't think they'll have any great solutions, but at least future left leaning supreme court judges won't be replaced by righties.

7. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For me it's fiscal responsibility !

Republicans used to be that, now the just set a new standard on how far in the hole we can go. Taking with us is, the value of our money, our reputation, and respect from the rest of the world.

We are being seen a joke.

8. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Iraq. We have to get out. The only candidate (among Dems) that has repeatedly pledged to get us out is Barack Obama. Hillary will just escalate the war into Iran. Yikes!

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Nov 21 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]542615[/snapback]</div>
    What about Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel? They want to get out.

The deciding issue will most likely be what ever the media will spoon feed the sheep of america.

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    For the Democrats it will be the screwed up Bush economy and the screwed up Bush foreign policy.
    For the Republicans it will be FEAR of terrorism,gay marriage,abortion.
    Same as every other election.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 21 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]542637[/snapback]</div>

And we have a winner!

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We should focus on the common good.

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 21 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]542541[/snapback]</div>
    The question is... will there be anything more lighthearted to watch? With the writers strike, TV is going to get pretty darned boring real soon...

Other than that, i agree with your post - The major influence on people is what effects them the most. When things are going well for them - good job, good neighborhood, no risk of loosing it all - they focus externally, ie the war in Iraq. But when their personal problems/worries start to crop up, that war doesn't seem like a big issue anymore.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Nov 21 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]542635[/snapback]</div>
    I used to live in Cleveland. Do I have to say more? :rolleyes:

Tom

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Nov 21 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]542615[/snapback]</div>
    Why? What will happen if we do leave now? I dont even think Obama wants to leave completely, does he?

17. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Nov 21 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]542635[/snapback]</div>

Bingo! What I have yet to hear from the "Media" is how neither Barack or Hillary have the needed experience to run a nation. Neither have run any sort of business, Hillary is riding the coat tails of her cheating, lying husband, Barack has what, two years of political experience?

IL has become a state run by the Dems, and so far they have it so really screwed up its not funny. All they talk about is raising taxes, but no where is there any mention of cutting costs. Daley and his brood have raised taxes in Chicago yet again, for what, his ego parks? The tax rate they were proposing would have put Chicago at the very highest tax bracket in the country at over 9%, in addition to additional taxes like .10 on a bottle of water, along with more taxes on a pack of smokes(wouldn't bother me I don't smoke), and an additional nickel per gallon gas tax(which I believe is still the highest in the nation. That person who should never have been put into office, Stroger, doesn't know what the hell he is doing, and is also raising taxes and cutting jobs that are needed, like nurses and doctors, in a hospital named after his father no less, and instead hiring his cronies into high paying jobs so they can sit on their nice person do nothing and get fat off the people. The worse part is people who dont even live in the city, but in the surrounding counties are also going to be hit by the same taxes that go to the city. Sorry but The democrats aren't looking so good.

Republicans are getting a bad rap mainly due to their leader screwing up Iraq and being yes men. I say screw both parties and elect the Donald so he can get in there and Fire the scumbags wasting our tax dollars and screwing up everything else.

What is needed is a candidate who can go out there, reduce overall spending while keeping our military strong, improve overall education, which is another pet peeve of mine, and find better ways to make America the great nation it once was and not some POS country that others turn their noses up at. Our industries were once the best in the world and now we have gone from an industrial leader to a leading consumer, not very good IMO. Bring back industry so that we can put people to work, and not some illegals either, I am talking about full blooded Americans getting decent jobs. We are loosing more and more jobs to overseas like China and such, and look at what is happening. Recalls due to too much lead, something that was very rare when made here. A person who can come up with a strong game plan for those topics would get serious considerations from me. And the candidates all need to stop bringing up "global Warming" as it is not something that can be considered when running the country as it only appeases those of the sky is falling type. The real issues are those that affect the everyday lives of the people, not some so called thing that may or may not happen 100 years from now.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 21 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]542637[/snapback]</div>
    so far the closest to the truth. Peak Oil :blink: :blink: :lol: B) ;) :unsure: :huh:

you failed to mention other important considerations...

appointing supreme court justices - if they survive the next session there will be at least two if not more to appoint for the next president

Iran... believe it or not a lot of us are concerned about them going nuclear...

and the BIGGEST ISSUE NOT mentioned.........

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

most americans understand the cyclical nature of our economy, changes in foreign policy due to real life real time considerations, terrorisms threat to us (see IRAN above).... most americans are anti gay marriage and pro choice (note Rudy's position on these topics please).

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A man's wallet is always the bottom line in determining his voting. No contest!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 21 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]542707[/snapback]</div>
    Hey! The Onion is supposed to be silly. This is so absolutely true I think the Onion needs to lose its satire license.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Nov 27 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]544757[/snapback]</div>
    you have my vote bro