1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's left on 'The Road'?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by savrip, Jul 30, 2010.

1. savrip

savrip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We got The Road today on blu-ray Netflix. Interesting movie, but something caught my eye. Is it me, or is that a Gen 1. The tailights caught my eye and after looking at some pictures on the iPhone during a pause, it sure lines up with the trunk slammin' Prius.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the 'classic' or original Prius had the battery vent on the drivers side (lhd vehicle).

I'm also sure the front wing/fender? has an indented detail along its length. Also the central brake light on the Prius is at the top whereas the picture has the remains of one at the bottom of the rear window.

I will add that it is amazing where Prius pop up in the movies. I annoy my girlfriend by pausing and rewinding the film whenever I see one. :D

3. savrip

savrip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Okay, I see what you mean. There are some body clues that don't quite match up. The molded metal from the taillight to the front door, the vent above the rear tire. The taillights are pretty close though. The backdoor has a swoosh at the very top, which the car in the film does not. Now I wonder who's trying to look as cool as the Prius?

Attached Files:

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has a GM look about it. Not sure about your US models but I'd definitely say it was a GM of some sorts, esp the wheels. Maybe a Saab, Saturn or a Cadilac CTS?

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about a Sentra? Note the rear window separater as well as the shape of the taillights... It looks like a Nissan or Hyundai to me.

[​IMG]

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like you have it. Every cue I see on the charred wreck except the wheels looks like that car and I can't tell if your picture has plastic wheel covers or not.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep I think you have it. I was hoping for a long game of guess the car.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What can I say, I watch a lot of TopGear :)

9. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah but must be the US version. I had no idea what a Sentra was as they're not sold here. Unfortunately Nissan only sell teeny weeny tiny cars or SUV's and pickups over here - nothing in the middle of the range.

Nissan cars, vans, fleet and services

Bizarre, but each to their own I guess.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, it's known as the Nissan Sunny in Japan and shares a platform with the Renault Migrane.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nissan have gone all weird since they've merged with Renault. They appear to actively not step on each others toes - Nissan for futeristic suv's and micro cars and Renault for mid to medium size cars. I think my European neighbours don't like Japanese cars whereas here in the UK we've had them for decades and appreciate their reliability and build quality - something lacking in a Renault!

Renault, Citroen and to a slightly lesser extent Peugeot are renowned for their poor build quality, reliability and electric gremlins (worse than Range Rover!). Why do you think they don't sell them in the US any more? You'd not stand for it. I heard that the French three were working on a hybrid and just had to laugh.

I worked for a company (before being a cabbie) that had a large fleet of company vehicles as a perk, and the only vehicles they wouldn't let the staff choose from were Renault, Citroen, Fiat and Alfa Romeo because they learnt the hard way that they'd spend more time being fixed than on the road.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You dont buy an Alfa to drive it! :p

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Carlos Ghosn has stated he wants to differentiate Nissans from Renaults, numerous times. From Charlie Rose - Carlos Ghosn, Chairman & CEO of Nissan and Renault SA,
    LOL on the last point. I'm unfamiliar w/the reliability problems of French cars because, as you pointed out, we don't have them here anymore. I was very young when the Renualt Alliance was here.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Alliance was a bastion of reliability compare to the Renault Dauphine of the mid-late 1950s.

Which is not to deny that the Alliance was a POS.