1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's New for 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aridon99, Aug 10, 2005.

1. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been following the various threads about possible new features on the 2006 Prius. It seems the new colors have very good coverage already. I just got back from the dealer where I ordering my 2006 Prius and they gave me this features list handout which I've attached in PDF format for everyone to read. I just want to point out the features I'm most excited about:

Standard Spec:
    - Tire pressure monitoring system

New Options:
    - Rear camera
    - Base and JBL audio to include MP3-readability and input jack

I hope this hasn't been covered already.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting.

I wonder if they'll replace my melting rear light assemblies with the '06 version once I get around to making them take care of it.

The real question is, how are they implementing the backup camera? Does it require the camera CPU the Japanese version uses, or is it something that could be easily retro-fitted to an 04/05?

I wonder what an 'advanced air bag system' is.

3. azemission

azemission New Member

Thanks for the info! I will wait til Mid October to order my 2006 so I can receive it in Jan 2006.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I think I know -- I've posted some speculation on the other thread.

6. MHR

MHR New Member

First thing I will do is order all the parts to give me the "factory" rear back-up camera

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    UGH!!!
    My sig says it all.

I got on "the list" in July of 04.
    May was my estimated time on the "the list".
    Which worked out great because my wife was in school and would be done in May.
    Got the call in December, not my color or package but it was in. Passed.
    January, Got laid off.
    Feburary. My color, my package in...passed. (sigh!)
    Augest got a job.
    Augest told dealer to get me a car. He said I was NEXT when a package 6 came in.
    NOW I see this.

I would love an input for my Ipod.
    I really don't like the burgendy dash. (one of my biggest complaints about the car, but still better than tan)
    Other options would be nice, but not a big deal.

So I'm guessing a couple weeks before I get "the call" and then what 6 weeks? before I take delivery? So that puts me to the end of Sept. beginning of Oct.?
    'When would the first be delivered? When would orders be taken?

Because dang it I want the car. Mine is slowly falling apart. Nothing major, just little annoyances.

What would you do?

8. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're looking at getting a 2006 which won't start being delivered until November, you really ought to wait to take delivery unitl January to take advantange of the new tax credits. If you decide to wait, tell your dealer NOW so you are first on the list for a January delivery.

9. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you're looking at getting a 2006 which won't start being delivered until November, you really ought to wait to take delivery unitl January to take advantange of the new tax credits. If you decide to wait, tell your dealer NOW so you are first on the list for a January delivery.

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

11. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, at each dealer, they have an up coming inventory sheet that shows them which cars will arrive in the next month. It gives them about a 30-45 day visibility in to the future. Currently the sheet shows that 05s will be arriving at the dealers till the end of September. My guess is that Oct-Nov is a reasonable time frame as many other posts have speculated.

12. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aridon99\";p=\"115334)</div>
    So what you are saying is that the next up coming inventory sheet could potentially be the last in the 05 inventory. And next months sheet would bring delivery about the time of the 06's. Maybe....what are the thoughts the experts?

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the only thing I'd really enjoy is the aux input, possibly backup camera, and the tire pressure sensor. I'm interested in seeing what the new tail/headlamp assemblies will look like, as well as the grille. Is it functional against keeping stones away from our A/C condensor/fog lamps or purely asthetic?

14. Vespasian

Vespasian New Member

Stop posting information about the '06 Prius until I get my '05! :cry: :cry: :cry:

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I'll keep an eye out for the wiring diagram. When it comes out, I'll see if the MP3 and backup camera (and pressure sensor?) can be added to an 04/05.

16. westofrome

westofrome New Member

When you say that possibly the "mp3" could be added to an 05, do you mean that the dealer would remove the existing stereo unit and replace it with the new one that has an integrated AUX jack (assuming the wiring works out)?

And if so, around how much would this cost? I was planning on having the AUX Box installed on my 05, but if you think this would be a better and somewhat comparably-priced option, I might wait. Thanks for your advice....

17. danefog

danefog New Member

I am thrilled at the news about the 2006 Prius. I was wondering, has anyone heard about the possibility or adding power driver seat, auto-locking doors, etc. I really think these might be nice things to have, among others. Please E-Mail me if you have any information or comments about these or other options not currently on the Prius or stated in the New For 2006 PDF. [email protected] Thanks everyone! DANE

18. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Without seeing the '06, or its wiring diagram, I can't say how MP3/Aux/IPod would be handled. I was hoping for a separate module, much like the XM, Sirius or external CD changer. But it is more probable that it would be incorporated into the head unit. Still, it may be possible to replace the head unit. Won't be able to say until its out.

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member