1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's new in Dubai

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by vvillovv, Dec 12, 2022.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your link to it is dead and so is the idea in general... Human Rights abuses in this horrorific part of the world aside, we discussed this proposal on Mastodon before and the main point is that structural engineers need to keep their "visionary" architects on a short leash or they start selling rich people mind-bogglingly stupid ideas that are impossible to build. Any structural engineer that looked at the images of what was proposed would immediately start laughing out loud at the pure absurdity of it all. Architect ego trips are a huge threat to our once green and living planet!

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do love a tall building. I've been up many of them - Jin Mao Tower, Shanghai World Financial Centre, Shanghai Tower (all within five minutes' walk of each other), Taipei 101, Hong Kong Central Plaza, Centrepoint Sydney, that nice bar at the Swissotel in Singapore, Seoul Tower, Tianjin TV Tower, Tehran TV Tower, the Burj al-Arab and many more. Of course, Blackpool Tower is the best of all of them.

I went up Burj Khalifa a couple of months ago, and it was excellent. The views are pretty spectacular, but they're often obscured by sand haze. I'm not sure I see the point in a building twice as tall as Burj Khalifa on the Arabian Peninsula, because for a lot of the time you won't be able to see much.

The weird thing in Saudi Arabia at the moment is The Line. It's just a weird, faintly dystopian concept.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't particularly like tall buildings. I was up to the viewing areas of the Empire State Building very long ago, Taipei 101 roughly fifteen years ago, and the Burj Khalifa ten years ago last month.

I don't ever need to go up that high in any building or tower again. My feet much prefer the solid ground of a good hiking trail (not rock climbing) up the side of a mountain.

Dubai Aquarium, Ski Dubai, and many other attractions around Dubai were fun or otherwise very worthwhile. But I must now pass on towers.

The same applies to very high cables, such as Whistler-Blackcomb's Peak 2 Peak Gondola.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    thanks for the heads up. I'm surprised the wikipedia page didn't load by clicking on it. The other two, oh well, lets just call it lessons learned.
    Good luck on Mastodon I'm sure it's a good for your interests and experiences.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wikipedia page loads fine. It was your second link that was malformed and didn't load, but I found and posted a corrected link above.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @fuzzy1 I noticed, the reason I posted lessons learned above was because priuschat didn't want to even allow the post at all the first 3 or 4 times I clicked the Post button and checking in a second tab of priuschat to see if it actually posted or not. Since one can never tell if a post that hangs will double post if you click on the post button more than once.
    I moved it around and finally got it to post and thought I double checked the post close enough, it looked good when I clicked away from the thread.

Both the second and third links in my OP were links to web sites that are riddled with ads, even worse than this site is at times.
    My interest in posting about Dubai was to show what I'd seen of a few things about the city and country that are different than the things most of us usually see around where we live.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ads? What ads? I don't see any ads on those sites, or even on PriusChat. ;)

vvillovv likes this.
  10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I surf - raw .... So I can get the [ full ] current innerwebs [ good bad and ugly ] experience.
    Someday I may get up at or down to the sockets level, but for now I just x out of the controlling term, reopen and restore. It doesn't happen too often, but on this old machine to doesn't handle drm3 well if at all, I do get bumped every now and than.

#10 vvillovv, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once upon a time, the "bad" included a slow so-called "broadband" connection choking on seriously bloated web pages, and exceeding an old-style monthly data limit cap even without any video streaming or gaming. And the "ugly" included ad-served malware, delivered even on PriusChar and temporarily crashing some members here.

Saying sayonara to the ads, fixed a lot of things.

vvillovv likes this.