1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's on your MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davidtm, Nov 7, 2007.

1. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up my 08 Barcelona Red Pkg 6 Prius today - it's great! So, I usually have the Energy screen on as I drive, but it's awfully distracting! For those of you who've had yours a while, what is usually on your MFD as you're driving around?

David

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to dredge up this old post of mine again!
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13686

The Four Stages of Prius Enlightenment
    (author’s note: This is a rewrite of the original published over a year ago that was lost during the PriusChat server crash. There may be some differences. If anyone has a copy of the original I’d love to have it to publish it as well.)

Stage I: Awe and Fascination
    The Multi-display screen (MFD) is left on the Energy screen the majority of the time as the driver and passengers watch with fascination as the colorful arrows shift and switch from Engine (ICE) to wheels and ICE to battery and wheels to battery. This is a time of trying to comprehend the general idea of how the car is working at different times. Some attention is paid to overall MPG by switching to the Consumption screen from time to time, but for the most part the 5-minute graph is hard to put into perspective. This phase lasts from weeks to a few months.

Stage II: Growth and Progress
    The driver now tends to focus on the Consumption screen in an effort to improve each of the individual 5 minute bars on the graph as part of an effort to improve overall MPG. Fine adjustments are made in driving technique such as rate of acceleration, top speed, using cruise control and adjusting to traffic and lights. Occasionally switching over to the Energy screen may occur as he/she tries to understand what might be going on in a particular situation or to show that screen to a new rider, but the focus here is clearly on the Consumption screen and efforts to improve mileage. This phase lasts months to about a year.

Stage III: Fine Tuning
    Once consistency is obtained with the Consumption screen phase and the driver’s MPG has seemed to stabilize for familiar routes there is a tendency to want to begin to ‘push the envelope’ to really maximize the fuel economy. To this end he/she needs to switch to the Energy screen once again. This time, however, it is used not to understand, but rather to fine tune and control the system to attain maximum efficiency. Techniques such as Pulse and Glide will require the Energy screen to assure they are in a ‘no arrows’ glide. Acceleration in the ‘dead-band’ (arrows from ICE to wheels only—none to or from the HV battery) for maximal efficiency likewise necessitate the Energy screen. Those not as dedicated or concerned about the fuel economy may find that they begin to use alternate screens such as the Audio screen or the MAP screen checking the Consumption screen occasionally and Energy screen rarely. Most drivers who are dedicated to constantly obtaining maximum possible fuel efficiency will remain on the Energy screen for years or even for the remainder of the time they own the car, switching to the Consumption screen only to check the tank MPG average and total miles on the tank then immediately returning to the Energy screen.

Stage IV: Prius Nirvana
    Most people will never attain Prius Nirvana. This is the stage where the driver has almost become one with the vehicle. He/she is so aware of the car’s operation that he/she can tell when he/she’s in the dead-band or gliding without looking at the Energy screen. Indeed he/she will enter those conditions often without conscious effort as they’ve become second nature. Maximal MPG is still achieved but almost without effort. This is not the same as the person in Stage III who no longer cares about MPG, this person cares greatly, but no longer has to put significant effort in to their driving to achieve it. He or she will use various screens on the MFD as needed, or may even turn it off completely. There is no longer a need to look at the Energy screen at all and they look at the Consumption screen only to note overall MPG and total tank miles. This stage is lifetime.

3. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Fingerprints

4. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Nov 7 2007, 08:22 PM) [snapback]536516[/snapback]</div>
    A blank screen, oh and fingerprints.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David T M @ Nov 7 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]536501[/snapback]</div>
    I usually leave mine on the consumption display. The bar graph of instantaneous mileage can be seen out of the corner of an eye, not too distracting, and still helpful in getting the best mileage out of the car.

6. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Energy Screen is on most of the time as I am still learning to P & G. Also, it helps to show how much or little throttle pressure to apply in order to achieve max MPG. It is addictive as you wil find out.

Slide

7. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I tend to keep mine on the NAV most of the time. Maybe that's why I'm only pulling about 48mpg. Not trying hard enough.....

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, it's the Energy Monitor. On the highway, it'll be the Consumption Screen.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normally I have the consumption screen up (I'm not sure how my Prius contracted TB, but it must have it since the screen says "consumption" right there on top.) The only exception to this is when I am using the NAV system, then I have the map up.

Tom

10. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have to agree with tideland..it's the Energy Monitor. On the highway, it'll be the Consumption Screen. I have the Nav but never get to go far enough away from home to need it.

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 7 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]536528[/snapback]</div>
    X2

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Nov 8 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]536516[/snapback]</div>
    I was going to say that.

I switch between energy and consumption screens, mostly energy. The distraction fades.

13. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A little trick to help keep those finger prints off the MFD screen. Pick up a Number 2 pencil at your local office supply store, now DON'T sharpen it folks, use the eraser end of the pencil as your pointer, and not your fingers...it works wonders for the screen. Good luck. :rolleyes:

And as always, Happy Motoring!

14. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    usually its the energy screen, but lately its been the NAV more.

15. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all for the replies. I now feel so "normal"! :lol:

efusco: Great piece of work! Thanks for that enlightenment. (BTW, I'm a community shrink, what kind of doc are you?)

16. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

Nice post Efusco. I've had my Prius about 3 weeks, and am vacilatting between stage1 and 2, but am interested in stage 3 also. :)

I can understand pulse and glide, but have heard on this forum many times about the waste of energy or ICE when it is being used to charge the battery. That seems to be what you're talking about with the "dead zone".

I guess what's being said is that if all the ICE energy goes to the wheels, it will take less energy to get you where you're going, as opposed to some of the ICE being used to charge the Traction battery.

If that's correct, then what do you do to make dead zone happen ? Just use regenerative braking more, but timing your lights and slowing down easily to use regen ?

Another related question would be that I've heard if the traction battery is already green, regenerative braking is no longer used and slowing down is done with friction even if your foot's not on the brake pedal. Is that correct ?

Can you just help me understand this to the next level ?

Thank you,

Floyd

17. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Nov 7 2007, 11:28 PM) [snapback]536522[/snapback]</div>
    Are you saying you've achieved Prius Nirvana? :)

I'd have to say I'm in efusco's stage III, with occasional moments of bliss when I can just feel a perfect pulse or glide without "trying" for it. So I'm usually on the Energy Monitor, with quick glances at Consumption.

I never use the Audio or Climate screens because all the controls are either easily spoken, or at my fingertips on the steering wheel.

Navi comes on once in a while, and will sometimes override my need to see the energy monitor if I'm unfamiliar enough with my route.

Fwellers, you're on the right track. The idea of "dead-banding" is to use the battery as little as possible, since the use of HV power is less efficient on its own than ICE. Simplistically, it goes something like this:

* ICE: gasoline->mechanical power->wheels->road
    * HV: gasoline->mechanical power->generator->inverter->battery->inverter->motor->mechanical power->wheels->road

So with just electric power there are more openings for energy loss. How to dead-band: practice!

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David T M @ Nov 8 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]536716[/snapback]</div>
    An overworked one....

I'm ER in a pretty busy Level 1 trauma center

19. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 8 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]536723[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch! Don't forget to take care of yourself. Hopefully, you've got a good psychiatric consultant, as there's lots of psych in an ER, easily overlooked in a busy Level I trauma one, too!

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 7 2007, 11:56 PM) [snapback]536545[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed.
    Hypermileing requires energy screen for best results while freeway speeds work best on Consumption Screen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 8 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]536723[/snapback]</div>
    I believe it!
    Anyone w/ over 10K posts has got to have tired fingers :p