1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's That Sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boulder_bum, May 13, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I noticed that when you park a Prius (and sometimes while you're driving), there's sort of a grindy sound that a note on the new car said was some vacuum reducing emissions.

Does anyone have detail on what exactly the noise is, and what the vacuum (if that's what it is) does?

2. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 13 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]441348[/snapback]</div>
    When you immediately turn the vehicle off? If that's the sound you are talking about my understanding is that it is a coolant transfer pump that moves hot engine coolant to a thermos for use during the next restart. There is also a vacuum 'test' that the fuel system does on occasion but I honestly can't remember hearing that as it seems to happen pretty randomly. A clicking or ratcheting sound can be associated with the brake accumulator pump and often occurs when slowing to a stop or just after stopping.

Hope I got all that right!

This car makes a bunch of odd noises :)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, a coworker asked about the whirling as we walked away from our vehicles. I did the best I could to explain the heated coolant and the thermos. It's a really cool system. If you are simply running some errands, the heated coolant helps bring the engine up to temp much faster.

4. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The first sound is the coolant pump. I believe I read where the fuel vapor pump (or purge) can occur up to five hours after car has been sitting. There is also a battery vent fan, but I don't think it makes much noise. They do make a bunch of strange noises. :huh:

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 13 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]441399[/snapback]</div>
    It's a HOT system. :p

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ May 13 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]441348[/snapback]</div>
    This one sounds like the brake accumulator pump. Since the Prius can't use engine vacuum for power brakes, it has its own little pump to generate brake pressure. You will hear it running every once in a while when you press the brake pedal.

Tom

6. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Re: What's That Sound?

When you immediately turn the vehicle off? If that's the sound you are talking about my understanding is that it is a coolant transfer pump that moves hot engine coolant to a thermos for use during the next restart. There is also a vacuum 'test' that the fuel system does on occasion but I honestly can't remember hearing that as it seems to happen pretty randomly. A clicking or ratcheting sound can be associated with the brake accumulator pump and often occurs when slowing to a stop or just after stopping.

It' an interesting sound. Why would the Toyota engineers want to transfer coolant to a thermos? I could see transferring hot engine oil to a thermos to warm up the car faster in the winter time. Coolant can withstand extreme temperatures and probably has a minimal affect on keeping the vehicle coolant warm.

7. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Re: What's That Sound?

Am I correct that you hear the coolant transfer pump when you first power up the car and again when you power off?