1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the 25k+ service Toyota is trying to sell me?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SwhitePC, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So my c just hit 5k mark and I took it in for the free toyotacare service and the dealer's already trying to push onto me the nonfree services for after the free toyotacare runs out at 25k or whatever I believe...

Are the services they're trying to sell even really needed (they're listing them at the $600+ a service if I don't buy the service before hand at a discount)...isn't it just oil change after oil change and as long as the car runs fine with no problems?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not Toyota, it's the dealership, VERY likely likely hardselling.

Mostly you can just stick to the maintenance booklet. The one exception I'd suggest is to get the transaxle fluid changed, say around 15~20K miles, then every 30K thereafter. Service departments try to talk people out of that service, and/or overprice it. It's very straightforward, should not be more than $100. The fluid and washers purchased at parts department are around $40.

3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow the books recommendations and skip the dealers con-job.
    As suggested, get the CVT fluid changed between 20 and 30K miles.
    Don't buy into the dealers hype. It's only to extract money from your wallet
    and paying up front just ties you to them for the next service and more hard sell service work.
    If you have a service that's needed outside of the Toyota Care freebie, take it to a trusted
    indy shop and save money. Dealers overcharge and over sell to make money. They're crooks, IMO.
    The freebie Toyota Care is designed to get you use to going to the dealer for everything. Don't fall for it.
    Anyone can service the vehicle without causing warranty issue's. Just keep your paperwork (y)

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Note that while both of the folks who responded are from ca, they are different ca's. It is not clear to me if you are in Canada or California, but you SHOULD have free service at 25,000 in the US.

And as folks are mentioning, follow Toyota's service schedule, not the dealer's. You can add changing the ATF at 30,000 miles and then every 60,000. It may help prevent the Motor/Generators from shorting out and overheating, among other problems

http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/gen_2_prius_2004_2009_transmission_failure_p0aa6_p0a92_p0a7a/

5. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    thanks for the replies, never had a hybrid before so wasn't sure

I wasn't gonna buy it or whatever, I just wanted to confirm my assumption that it's just dealership bs

and I guess I'll browse deeper into my owner's manual maintenance section when I have the time or boredom

6. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Roomate bought some sort of prepaid service agreement when he bought his Gen III. He cancelled it a bit later when he found out it didn't quite cover what they said it did (didn't cover tire rotations), had unnecessary service in it (oil changes every 5k), and was more expensive than the services would be if bought individually ($495 for 10 $50 oil changes, including the two free Toyota Care ones, so actually only 8). He was told quite a different story when he bought it, lesson learned, get paperwork showing what you are purchasing and read it.