1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the best Linux?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jul 20, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Topic title says it all:

What, in your opinion, is the best distribution of Linux for a newbie? Easy to install. Fairly complete upon basic installation, and/or easy to add new programs.

Right now I have SuSE 10.0 on my laptop. Tomorrow I'm leaving for 2 weeks, and when I get back I may try ubuntu. I may also try Mandriva. Ubuntu has a reputation for good support from a solid group of well-organized users. Mandrive claims to be the easiest to install.

Opinions?

2. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Easiest for a newbie, in my experience, is Ubuntu. Fairly painless installation (especially on SATA drives, which was a major problem for me with other distributions) and adding new programs (unless you get the AMD64 version like I did at home) is easy. All software that I've installed through the package manager has been put in sensible locations and configured intelligently by default. And yes, the user base is great.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I 2nd ubuntu.... http://www.ubuntu.com/

Nice install (so I've heard), out of the box working multi media (big thing for Linux), decent auto update... it's what a lot of people are swithcing to

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you haven't already done so I suggest partitioning your hard drive. Then you can keep Suse and try Ubuntu or Mandriva at the same time if you have enough room. There are several ways to proceed, I have had good luck with a program called called Partition Magic by Symantic. I'm sure some of the "experts" may have better ideas.

5. jtullos

jtullos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 20 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]289456[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, hard drive partitioning. In my opinion and experience, the best way to do it is a little program called QTParted. It's a free partitioning tool that's basically a clone of Partitioning Magic. My recommendation is to use it from a bootable CD. And yes, I have a favorite there. Knoppix. It is a Linux distribution designed to be run entirely off of a CD. Just download the ISO, burn, boot from the CD, and you're set to go. I've got a copy at home and several copies floating around the office just because it's SO handy for any sort of system level maintenance, partitioning, or whatever.