1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the best size wheels/tires for comfort on 2016 touring trim?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jim Geisendorff, May 16, 2024.

1. Jim Geisendorff

Jim Geisendorff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm an Uber/Lyft driver and I have a 2016 Prius III touring trim with 235k, I bought it because I got a good deal but I HATE the harsh ride it has with the larger wheels and tighter suspension.

The stock wheels are 215/45/17. Snagged some wheels off FB marketplace of a PT cruiser which are 205/55/16. After the putting them on the ride is much better. My goal is to gain even more comfort because our city roads are terrible. I don't mind the unnecessary expense but I would like to increase the sidewall size as much as possible.

I would love to go down to the standard 15" wheel but IDK if that interferes with any of the touring trim design or brake parts. No apparent problems with the 16s thus far.

My main questions are:

1. Assuming tire width increases comfort, what's the widest I could go?
    2. What's the biggest sidewall I could use without causing problems? (not worried about speedometer)
    3. Best tire for shock absorption with high tread life?
    4. Any variables or problems I haven't considered?
    5. Any chance 225/70/15 is possible? :)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’ll be no problems going with the stock 15” rim.

our 3rd Gen Canadian Touring is similar: came with 17” rims etcetera, and every winter I swap to 15” Toyota rims with 195/65R15 Michelin X-Ice snow’s. I managed to acquire a set of the Plug-In Prius 15” rims, which look a little more presentable.

Attached Files:

Jim Geisendorff and Merkey like this.
  3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    For a stock car, w/o lift kit - the tallest you can go is 205/65R15 without issues. It's 0.5 inches taller than stock and slightly narrower than your original 17 inch rim & tire combination. See: Tyre Size Calculator
    Added bonus, your speedometer would be more accurate. Mine seems to register 2-mph faster when compared to GPS on OEM tires + rims.

Good Luck..

Jim Geisendorff likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Odometer will be thrown off though.