1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the best way to break-in new engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lcruiser, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Like title said. :) Any suggestions? I saw this from other forum that I vist....

No matter how well the parts are manufactured, or how meticulous your engine builder is in maintaining his tolerances, the internals of your engine still have a lot of relatively rough friction surfaces when freshly put together. I'm talking about rings, cams, rockers, and bearings...stuff like that. There is a lot of processes manufacturers put their parts through to ensure that they have the desired hardness that is required for long life: Heat treating, Tuftriding, things like that.

For approximately the first 10-12,000 miles of a fresh engine's life, the parts all go through a combination of physical and molecular changes. First, there is a tremendous (relatively speaking) amount of friction on these surfaces for the first 12K, and the result is that the parts are reaching what engineers call equilibrium. The parts are wearing into a state of near perfect smoothness, in relation to each other. Much more perfectly smooth than any manufacturer could ever produce. Secondly, as this first 12K elapses the internal parts of the engine are also going through a molecular change (for want of a better word): the best hardening processes used by manufacturers cannot achieve what the constant heat and operation of 12K can put the parts through. The parts will become even more hardened, and much more resistant to wear and tear. But they also become more brittle.

For those reasons, it is vitally important that you operate your car in a variety of driving styles during this high-friction break-in period to ensure that the internals are fully worn-in, or seated by the time equilibrium sets in. If the parts are not fully worn-in by that time, then the new-found brittleness will cause an excess of wear and tear, shortening the engine's life. For that reason, it is a good idea to stick with regular 'dino' for the break-in period, so that you will have enough friction to wear in the parts, but not so much that you are damaging the engine. Since there is so much friction, and therefore much more microscopic (but still damaging!) particulate matter present in the oil, I would recommend changing it at the first 200 miles, then at 500 miles, and then every 1,000-1,500 miles until you have reached about 12K. At this point, you have done everything possible to help your engine reach as near a perfect state of equilibrium as possible, and no more break-in is necessary. That means that now you want to have as little internal friction as possible. At this point, switch to a good full synthetic.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As you will discover when you DO NOT BUY A CIVIC, the Prius is a unique car and the old rules don't completely apply. For example, the computer decides when to start the engine, based on how much you push the accelerator and how hard. It also spins up the engine to about 1000 rpm without gas or spark, then applies them when oil is already moving in the engine.

Similarly, when you step on the brakes, regenerative braking takes your forward motion and turns it into electricity to store in the HV battery; the hydraulic brakes that regular cars use don't start to be applied until about 7 mph.

Sure, the conventional wisdom of not driving at 90 mph for long periods and avoiding jamming on your brakes if you can avoid it still apply, but the Prius is fairly easy on the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) since it only uses it at optimal power ranges and turns it off every chance it can.

Some people change their oil early on the first fill, but Toyota only requires a change every 5000 miles. Considering how the ICE doesn't run all the time, 5000 miles on a Prius is more like 3000 miles on a regular car. Use the Search function for used oil analysis and you'll find lots of discussion on how hard the Prius isn't on oil.

Did the poster on that other site own a lot of oil stock?

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Just drive it and stop worrying so much. <_<

4. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LandCruiser @ Apr 1 2007, 03:00 AM) [snapback]415869[/snapback]</div>
    This description sounds somewhat similar to what I saw here. I'm not sure whether or not I buy this guy's argument, although the pictures he has of the torn down engines are compelling assuming that, like everything else on the internet, they are accurate! :)

5. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My two cents. I have some auto repair books from the 60's that are very good. They recommend a break in somewhat similar to this. After full warm up on a freshly built engine, moderately 50-75% appx load the engine, like accelerating from 30-50. Do this as many times as possible, coasting between accelerations. They don't say wide open though. The reason is the ring seating only, the bearings are supposed to be protected by oil film, not wearing against each other. Contrary to opinion I don't think the tolerances or finishes of cylinders are any different than forty years ago, the cylinder finish is required to have a certain roughness when new.

On the other hand Toyota says only to drive easy for 600 miles in the manual, avoid revving high. I have been following both for the first few hundred miles. The Prius engine is so different, it often is under low stress, like a fast idle. It could be the engines are run in some at the factory, don't know. I assume each is bench tested. In any case I expect them to be good engines, but don't know why the factory in Japan overfilled my oil by 1/4 in.

6. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you aware that some vehicles, including the Corvette, come from the factory with synthetic oil?

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :unsure: The OP does NOT indicate that he/she owns a Prius {note Profile}.

Page 318 of the Owner's Manual provides tips on the Break-In period, quoted:

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle.

• Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
    • Avoid racing the hybrid engine.
    • Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles).

Enough said.

8. iaowings

iaowings New Member

All bow before the almighty Manuel! :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:
    sorry cant help it

9. LovelyPrius

LovelyPrius New Member

I broke in my engine by just driving normally.