1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats the best way to remove scratches?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Feb 13, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have found a little scratch thats actually pretty hard to see... its perfectly straight and about 3 inches long. I could be from someones cufflink at the dealer or flying debris since it was crazy windy the other day.

I know I could get some fine rubbing compound and get it out, but I don't want to leave a funky spot either?

I did not order the Z5 for scratches since I had a brand new car I didnt' think that was needed? Ha ha!

Will The Z2 do the job alone or should I try to gently rub it out first with some compound?

2. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    wow.. Thats a question no one wants to touch!

I went ahead and ordered more Zaino products...
    Z-PC Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover 1 $12.95 $12.95
    Z-5 Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches 1 $16.95 $16.95

Z-PC is basically an abrasive.. something to remove either all of the scratch or just knock the edges off that protrude above the surface of the rest of the clear coat.

then you can use the Z-5 to literally fill in the scratch. Either one could be used without the other, but as you can figure... its best to not remove any of the clearcoat below the regular clear coat surface... then the Z-5 will fill in the scratch.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the scratch is deeper than a swirl (which it sounds like it is), then you have the wrong products.

Your question has already been adequately answered. I'm not going to repeat myself.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...25&#entry152425

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use Meguiar's Scratch-X. It has diminishing abrasives and can be used by hand.

If the scratch needs something more I have small bottles of #80 and #83 and a Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher G100.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I posted the question two or three days ago without a response, so I started a new thread... after one day., I still saw no response so I assumed it was a taboo subject no one wanted to make a recommendation on.

I knew using rubbing compound was a bit risky so I called Zaino and told them how this scratch was barely visible.... they felt their product would be fine, so I ordered... we'll see.