1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the best way to use EV mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Sailfish11, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Sailfish11

Sailfish11 New Member

I installed the coastaltech EV kit last month and I've been enjoying it since. I've read several of the threads on how to use it most efficiently, but I still have a question.
    I understand that one good way to use EV mode is at the end of your trip (since the ICE will run anyway at the start of your next trip and recharge the battery); however, what about using it in the middle of your trip?
    My daily commute is only about 10 min, and there's a stretch in the middle where I rarely go above 34 mph. Is it efficient to use EV mode then, given that I know I'm going to have to use the ICE again before the end of my drive (there's an uphill part near my house)?
    I'm wondering if whatever I gain through EV is lost when the ICE kicks back on and has to work even harder to recharge the battery.
    Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere (I looked but didn't see anything).

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

In the condition you describe you should easily be able to use stealth mode as the car allows.
    EV is not needed. And you can then go in electric at 40 mph.

If you force ev where the car would be on ICE you will normally use more fuel. Exceptions would be approaching a long down hill run where you want extra space in the battery or some other special situation.