1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the Japanese word for LEMON?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by davidt39, Jul 22, 2006.

1. davidt39

davidt39 New Member

:angry:

I bought my '04 Prius 2 1/2 years ago and have 40,000 miles on the vehicle. I did not buy the extended warranty because I believed Toyota produced high quality, reliable cars. I had purchased extended warranties before and had never had to use them.

Another factory recall for the steering bought me back to my dealer. I have had the car serviced religiously every 3K to 3.5K miles.

The day before I took the car in, the monitor blew. It no longer displays any data.

I am told I also need two new tires in the front. The rear tires are okay. I have regularly had the tires rotated. Why are only two tires worn? There is also a fluid leak from where the "transmission" fluid is checked. I need a new monitor. And, I also need a new front strut. All of these disasters happened in the last 3K miles? Estimated cost is just over $1,300.

I was told the monitor cost was over $300. Later the service rep called and said he talked to Toyota and they would split the cost (now over $500) three ways with Toyota, the dealer and me. My cost was to be about $180. I'm not a math major but I see a number problem here.

What really hacks me off is having such significant costs on a car that is just over 2 years old. What's going to happen in another year? The monitor was ordered over a week ago and still has not arrived.

How much is this great mileage really going to cost?

Has anyone else had similar problems? Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you see the "Dreaded MFD Failure Out of Warranty" thread?

Also look at "TSB EL002-05 Multi-Display Functions are Inoperative" download in the Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs forum.

This might help with your Multi Display problem.

I had the same issue... and it was (finally) covered by Toyota after several dealer visits when they finally determined that my disapearing data was due to the TSB issue.

Don't give up. Get a second opinion on some of the other issues, if you think they might not be issues.

- Good luck!

3. davidt39

davidt39 New Member

Thanks for your response.

I just e-mailed corporate Toyota with a detailed explanation of my problems. I asked for a significant reduction in the charges and that an extended warranty be offered to me in spite of my 40,000 miles.

mississippi :)

:angry:

I bought my '04 Prius 2 1/2 years ago and have 40,000 miles on the vehicle. I did not buy the extended warranty because I believed Toyota produced high quality, reliable cars. I had purchased extended warranties before and had never had to use them.

Another factory recall for the steering bought me back to my dealer. I have had the car serviced religiously every 3K to 3.5K miles.

The day before I took the car in, the monitor blew. It no longer displays any data.

I am told I also need two new tires in the front. The rear tires are okay. I have regularly had the tires rotated. Why are only two tires worn? There is also a fluid leak from where the "transmission" fluid is checked. I need a new monitor. And, I also need a new front strut. All of these disasters happened in the last 3K miles? Estimated cost is just over $1,300.

I was told the monitor cost was over $300. Later the service rep called and said he talked to Toyota and they would split the cost (now over $500) three ways with Toyota, the dealer and me. My cost was to be about $180. I'm not a math major but I see a number problem here.

What really hacks me off is having such significant costs on a car that is just over 2 years old. What's going to happen in another year? The monitor was ordered over a week ago and still has not arrived.

How much is this great mileage really going to cost?

Has anyone else had similar problems? Suggestions?
    Thanks
    [/quote]

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mississippi @ Jul 22 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]290409[/snapback]</div>
    The strut along with the tires and transaxle leak suggests 'scraping bottom', which isn't difficult to do with our low slung Prius. Bending the strut would change the wheel alignment leading to excessive tire wear. If the obsticle hit one size of the drain plug, it could have 'wrenched' it loose.

As a general rule, whenever I've 'scraped bottom', I get to a place where I can do a quick visual check. Depending upon that and the vehicle handling, I'll take it to a shop pretty quickly. I've been lucky.

Bob Wilson

5. davidt39

davidt39 New Member

Thanks, Bob

Dave

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jul 22 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]290438[/snapback]</div>

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    definitely get a second opinion on the leak and the strut. just head off to another dealer and ask for an overall inspection and a detailed analysis of the transmission and suspension components. they may charge a nominal fee, but if they're asking for lots of money to simply inspect your car go elsewhere.

unfortunately the OEM tires have been known to crap out way too early, even with proper maintenance. also, proper alignment is an important factor in tire wear. when was your last alignment and have you bumped any curbs or anything? in any case many have upgraded to better tires and had good experiences in doing so. though keep in mind your mpg will drop with new tire breakin.

the display is known to have some issues in the 04 prius, and many have gotten toyota to replace it for free out of warranty. you are barely out of warranty, i'd push for a free replacement based upon the fact that this is a known issue and that you're only 4k out of warranty.

good luck.

7. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the strut issue: Did you have an alignment done, ever? Was that wheel out of factory specs? If so, then bring that to Toyota's attention.
    I had a rear that was out of spec and it caused a wheel bearing to fail at 75k miles-Toyota paid for the bearing replacement.

Other then that, I sold my 04 with 85k miles and no problems.