1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the little square button on the driver door handle do ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ktthomas, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ktthomas

ktthomas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got my prius a few weeks ago and I am curious as to what the little button on the driver door handle does ?
    i can't find anything in the manually unless I just skipped over it.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    power window lock, so your passengers can't escape by rolling down the windows.......

3. Kevin06prius

Kevin06prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is part of the keyless system. If you have the key on you (Ex. In your pocket) and you walk up to the car and pull on the handle of the driver, passenger or the trunk doors it will automatically unlock. When you step on the brake and push start the engine will start even if the key is not in the slot (as long as it's in the car) when you power off the car you can leave and push the black button on the drivers, passenger or the trunk and the car will lock. (As long as the key is on you)

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, the SKS button is not only on the driver's door. It's on the passenger's and also the hatch.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kevin is correct.

It is part of the SKS (Smart Key System) that allows the key to lock, unlock, and start the car wirelessly. When you press the black button, it locks the doors. When you put your hand inside the handle, it unlocks the door.

It is software configurable as to whether the driver door unlocks all doors or just the respective door.

Depending on what configuration you have, it is either on no doors, just the driver door (1-door SKS) or on the two front doors and the hatch (3-door SKS).

Kevin06prius likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just note that the Gen 2 is either 3-dr SKS or none (i.e. regular remote keyless entry. In this case, you slot the fob into the dash before pushing POWER to start the car)

Kevin06prius likes this.
  7. Kevin06prius

Kevin06prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a package 9 with leather seats and every other option available so I don't have to worry about "options". Lol. But every prius gets the same mileage :)

I also thought the SKS came standard on the gen 2. At least the newer gen 2's

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Package 8 I believe for 2006. (There were 9 for 2004 then 6 packages for 2005 and 8 packages for 2006).

Nah. But by 2009, practically all will have it since only the very base and #1 package do not have SKS.