1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the point in having the pollen filter run for just 3 mins?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alokeprasad, Dec 10, 2009.

1. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What's the point of having the pollen filter run for just 3 minutes before switching off? The pollen is going to get right in afterwards.

Is this a conventional paper/cloth type HEPA filter? or some sort of electrostatic filter?

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Covered before, and there was no specific "answer" but I found an explanation on a Lexus dealer salesman training site that went further: The 3 minute Micro Dust and Pollen Filter basically closes off all outside air in recirculate mode for that time, while the traditional recirculate still lets in a modest amount of air (20% or thereabouts). All air runs through the same intake filter (replaceable, behind glove box) but the Micro button just adds a little extra recirculation for a bad situation. I expect that shutting off all outside air raises red flags about carbon monoxide entry.

3. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah, so this is to be used when you see a cloud of smoke or dust up ahead (like from a combine farming near the road) and want to close the vent for that short time.

To me, that is too close to the re-circulate setting in utility.

As a pollen allergy sufferer, I would prefer that a micro-dust and pollen filter that uses outside air but removes the dust and pollen (and can be used for an extended period).

To me, the current implementation is of marginal utility (marketing gimmick?).

Aloke Prasad

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it works for dead skunks!

5. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My understanding is that all air goes through the in-cabin air filter. When the Plasmacluster button is engaged for the 3 minutes, all outside air is shut off an an ionizer is engaged to rapidly remove any contaminants which are smaller than the of the in-cabin air filter can remove.

6. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius Package III doesn't include the PlasmaCluster. It has some other type of "micro dust and pollen filter". At least that's what the owners manual calls it (Pg 274).

In any case, there is no point in doing this type of thing only for 3 minutes, especially if outside air is coming in all the time.

7. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dead skunks don't need it, they can't breathe! And how many dead skunks drive a Prius anyway?

8. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'd be surprised. ;-)

9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    depends on what I ate.

10. MG01720

MG01720 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a model III and have used this feature a number of times. Diesel truck fumes, roadkill, etc. ...the smells are gone very quickly, so in my experience it works as advertised

11. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What plasmacluster button?:confused:

12. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since your driving a IV model, it should have the plasmacluster I believe. It has an Ionizer in the far left vent near the drivers door. It provides Ionization while the A/C is running.

It's automatic if you have the A/C operating.....;)

13. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ahhh I get it now...I thought you guys were talking about an encounter with hot nurses in a blood mobile...

14. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the plasmacluster is not the same thing as the pollen filter, which has a button next to the "mode" button I believe. I have it on my pkg III, I would think a pkg II would also have it.

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Correct. Plasmacluster isn't the same thing and is on 100% of the time. In fact, some forum members didn't like the fact you can't turn it off.

16. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi 32K...

Isn't the Ionizer only on when the Air Conditioning is in operation?? It seems that what is detailed in the Manual???

Just curious....

17. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plasmaclusterâ„¢* (if equipped) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Plasmacluster will operate in conjunction with the air conditioning fan motor when it is turned on. [/FONT][/FONT]

A little ambiguous--hard to tell just from this whether it's just with A/C compressor or anytime the fan is on, but since the whole Chapter 3.1 in the manual is "Air Conditioning System" it probably means whenever the fan is on.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the ionizer control is on the plasma cluster and if the plasma cluster was called a mono color LCD cluster, more people would probably understand exactly what the plasmacluster is.

as far as "A/C" as we know, its also used to warm up the air. the A/C removed moisture by condensation which helps clear windows in the winter and helps passengers feel more comfortable in summer. it is temperature controlled.

the ionizer uses electrostatic charge to attract dust particles and remove them from the air passing thru its grid. it runs for a relatively short cycle simply because of

1) laws of diminishing returns. when there is a lot of dust particles, it works well but the longer it runs, the less effective it is as it will never remove all of the dust. iow, its very good at significantly removing a good portion of the dust.

2) it uses power and like everything else on the Pri, its benefit is weighed against the overall efficiency of the vehicle and the benefit of the passengers. and its longevity is seriously reduced should it run continuously and its probably on a timer to prevent someone from turning it on and forgetting about it allowing the unit to burn itself out

i have used it many times and it does work well and there has been times when i have cycled it as many as 4-5 times in a relatively short period of time. i dont see any harm in that.

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I meant they don't like the fact, for whatever reason, you can't operate it separately from the fan/air conditioning system.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no, can also be used with defrost.... or heat... or whatever.

the "A/C" only conditions the air by removing moisture. what temperature you set it at is up to you