1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the scoop on PFTE oil additives??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ggarman, May 10, 2005.

1. ggarman

ggarman Junior Member

My Prius's have 40K and 60K miles on them and I'm thinking about using Slick 50 and going synthetic, what is the current concensus on PFTE oil additives like Slick 50?

I've used Slick 50 in my other cars without any adverse problems.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
    Greg

2. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Hehe. I would never use one, ever. Run syn, bag additives. Just no reason to do it.

3. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    This is continually debated with no final resolution in almost every car forum. For myself, I'd rather just go out and whack the engine with a hammer for a while to loosen things up -- that will do the same amount of friction reduction and damage as those additives.

But, that's just me :)

(note -- the above was meant in jest -- no offense intended to PFTE users )

dave.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not an oil analyist nor do I play one on TV. However, I have used PTFE once in my life on an older vehicle I had. It did not do any damage to the vehicle and I'd like to think it was helpful, at least for a while. However, with the tolerances of new vehicles, and the advances in oil quality and synthetics kind of reduces the logic of using PTFE additive.

The real issue with any oil or oil additive is that as end users, it is pretty hard for us to see the benefits of any oil or additive in action. So, we kind of have to trust research and marketing claims on face value. Which I find especially difficult.

I am using Mobil1 5W30 in my Prius and feel that will be plenty enough protection for the vehicle over its life.

5. jchu

jchu New Member

Used to use PTFE in my older cars. Now have trade up for the Mobil 1 15,000 mi oil is our '90 Honda CRX and '91 Toyota light pickup. Figure will need changed about once a year due to time not mileage!!

The Prius run on standard Mobil 1, with 5k changes. Just changed again at 28,181. Wouldn't dare put any additives in the Prius.

6. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have read many articles that PTFE additives can be very bad for your car. See
    http://skepdic.com/slick50.html

I believe that Dupont will not sell teflon as an additive becasue they believe it does not work as some of the adds promise.

7. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PTFE-Teflon. Teflon burns. Teflon is not a lubricant. It is a non stick coating when burned it is toxic. Engine temps are hot enough to burn teflon. And it will plug oil galleys.

Blue

8. popoff

popoff New Member

Years ago, I saw a letter from DuPont to the industry emphatically stating that their registered trademark product, Teflon, was not to be used in internal combustion engines. The reason, as I recall, was concern that the conditions encountered in the engine could break the Teflon down. One of the by-products would be hydroflouric acid, a very corrosive acid.

9. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    Maybe that's why it works in engines -- the acid eats away at the surfaces and opens up those pesky tight tolerances that the silly auto makers insist on using! Thus, everything gets a bit looser and easier to spin!

epoch_time likes this.
  10. jchu

jchu New Member

By the way, the CRX mentioned above has 204,000 miles on it and the Toyota pickup 141,000 miles. Our Prius has 29,000 miles on it so far

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I asked a similar question when i first found this site last year and was surprised at the answers. I too have used Slick50 in my other cars with good results. We had a 1990 Caravan with 285,000 mi and the engine was never touched. Used Slick50 in it from the first 10,000 mi. Our Chevy Venture just turned 150,000 mi. So I was going to use it in my new Prius till I read up on some links people here provided. It turns out Slick50 isn't the same formulation as it used to be. So I decided not to use it in the Prius, so we'll see if the ICE lasts over 200,000. That will be the test.