1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's the typical wait time now?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by azemission, Jul 21, 2005.

1. azemission

azemission New Member

everyone

This is my first post on Priuschat. I am very excited to be considering a Prius as my (my wife's) next car. We have been driving some gas-drinking SUV 1999 ML430(13-17mpg), 2001 MDX(19-25), and my trusty 1995 Subaru Legacy(208K miles). It's time to go green! What I will miss on the Prius is AWD which has been our principle in purchasing any car.

I contacted several dealers in the area (Long Island) and one promised me to have a 2005 Pkg#6 delivered in 1 month. Is this the normal wait time? I always have heard the wait time is about 6 month or so.
    Can anyone recommend a good dealer on Long Island, NY?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dean

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azemission\";p=\"109048)</div>
    Sorry but I cannot answer in terms of the wait. In fact, I clicked on this one because I was curious as to what people were seeing for wait times.

But I can welcome you to PriusChat and to the Prius family. This is a remarkable fun car and this forum has a lot of wonderful and helpful people.

And I CAN comment on the traction of this car. Get the VSC. I'm pretty sure the package 6 does have it. All Prii have traction control, but this is not the same thing as VSC.

I traded in a Subaru Impreza that I was very impressed with in terms of the snow it could plow through. (AWD as you know) But this past winter impressed me completely and there is now no doubt in my mind that I am driving the best car I've ever had in terms of traction and stability in a panic -- snow covered street -- situation.

I was forced to avoid another car last winter by pulling into a snow bank. As I turned I was convinced that all I was going to do was start going down the road sideways. But no, the car went into the snow bank just like I wanted, and then when the other car missed me by 1/16th of an inch, I pulled right back into the travel lane like nothing had happened. (Nothing except all the bells and lites that flash when you engage the VSC and traction control.)

Now I played with that Subaru in parking lots and it was impressive how much control you could maintain, up to a point. But there is no doubt in my mind that the Prius is the only car I ever owned that could have avoided that accident. No doubt. I will never again buy a car without VSC.

And you can do a search and find similar stories about handling thruout Priuschat.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread to see what answers you get to your main question.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recently contacted a dealership (in Mass) and they quoted me 90-120 days. I know out West they are sitting on lots in many places.

1 month sounds reasonable... I wonder if the price does.

4. rspro

rspro New Member

I just picked up a Black 2005 #6 in the Chicago area after a 3 month wait. I do believe there is a big difference based on color selection. I had originally ordered seaside pearl and was offered the black after three months or another 3 month wait for the seaside. Happy Hunting.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wait time here is 90-120 days (Alaska). I called a couple dealers in Oklahoma and got about the same info. I did find, however, a small dealer in Muskogee, OK, where there was no one on the wait list and my car arrived after 11 days.

Only a couple more days until I pick it up. :mrgreen:

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    0 days in Southern California.

7. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:6e6f0a9baf]Dean,
    I bought my Prius in August, 2004 from Neil Toyota in Lynbrook. I was on the waiting list for 9 months, but was told that I would wait only two. I had a hard time with my salesman, but after he left, they assigned me a new salesman, who was honest and up front. My belief is that the first salesman sold my Prius to someone who was willing to pay more, at a time when they were scarce. A friend of mine bought a Prius from them and waited 5 months. She picked it up in January. I know that the wait has become shorter in this area.
    Keep us informed about your new Prius and hope your wait is short!
    Mary Lou[/font:6e6f0a9baf]

8. azemission

azemission New Member

Thanks to all who replied. This is a great list!

I did some search on the tax exemptions for Nassau County on Long Island. There is a new proposed law to allow the county portion of the sales tax exempted. But this exemption will be for the model year 2006 and 2007.

I wish to catch this savings but does anyone know when will the next model be ready for order?

Dean

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can order starting August 16th. 2006s should be arriving in late November.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    0 days in eastern Pennsylvania.

11. Sid

Sid New Member

I concur, though it does help to be flexible in color choice and package.

12. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait times all depend on the dealer and that dealer's location, and to a certain extent that dealer's sales policies.

It is true, out West they are on the lots waiting to be sold. I don't think this indicates market saturation, it is just that demand in the West has been strong and Toyota has been keeping up with demand. It is good to have a couple on the lot of a dealer at all times so folks can see it and test it out.

Check out rural dealers. They seem most likely to have lot stock or very short acquisition times. I would have to say that if you have a specific package and color combination you want, you shouldn't have to wait more than about a month.

13. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live on Long Island (Massapequa) and bought my 2004 from a dealer in Scranton, PA. I received my car on November 8, 2004. I got rid of a 2002 Jeep Liberty. I really didn't have much of a wait as the car was only released a few weeks prior to my delivery. As far as dealers are concerned, I really don't know what to tell you. I can tell you who to avoid though. Don't go to Westbury or Amity. Give Star Toyota a try and look out east (Suffolk). Don't even try the boros as they are the biggest crooks.

I have had my Prius for two winters and it's GREAT. I put Nokian tires on it and with the VSC it is truly amazing. I can go on the Southern State with no worries. Believe me, I don't miss AWD at all. Besides, they clear the roads here so fast, it's a waste to have AWD. If I lived up in Vermont with big hills and tons of snow, I'd probably have a Subie for the bad winter days. Heck.. I'd even try to wing it with Blizzaks on my Prius and see what happens.

14. popoff

popoff New Member

I can't offer you any suggestions about LI dealers but, if you are willing to travel, you can get quick (often same day) delivery and discounts in Virginia.

Many posters have raved about a dealer in Manassas VA which I think is near DC.

Good luck.

15. azemission

azemission New Member

Funny that I used to live in Manassas in the late 1990's A very nice and friendly place. Thanks for the advice!

dkny

16. gblatt

gblatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are plenty of them around on the lots here in the VA/MD area. I wanted mine in a specific color so I had to wait a week for mine to show up from the docks in NJ.

17. Sean05Opt6

Sean05Opt6 New Member

Welcome Dean!

My dealer here in northern Colorado quoted 4 to 6 weeks.
    We'll see...

P.S. Check out the file library. There's a lot of great info there to read while you wait for your new car.

Sean

18. dpool

dpool New Member

Here in Albuquerque, I'd have to say "it depends." Back in April, when we wanted to trade our '04 for an '05 Tideland Pearl #6 (yes, and it's hard to explain), the wait for us was exactly 26 days.

Just today, however, I spoke to a woman who got her '05 Silver #6 today...but only *after* she had been #10 on the waiting list for 4-6 weeks...and then, 6 weeks later, was told she was #8 on the list and given another 4-6 weeks. She found (she implied with Toyota USA's help) a dealer in Georgia that had two of them and the transaction completed incl. shipping in about 2 weeks. HOWEVER...she also wanted leather, which I think is a port-added option in the SE Region (I have no idea how it's handled -- or if it's even available -- in the Southwest).

19. bjackson

bjackson New Member

I ordered a #6 package from a local Knoxville, TN dealer April 23 and today he said to expect delivery between July 26 and Aug. 1. I limited my color choices to black, blue and green. Most likely would have gotten one by now if I hadn't limited my colors. Still paying MSRP around here as they don't sit on the lot for more than a few days before being sold.

20. lbligh

lbligh Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I think the six month waiting list made news but "no wait" doesn't sell newspapers. Here in Northern Virginia (suburbs of DC) dealers seem to have plenty of Priuses on the lot. We bought ours and drove it home the same day, but there was only one available with the option package we wanted (4) so we had no choice as to color.

The dealer (Ourisman Toyota) had prices posted on the Internet and since we could prove we were "Internet customers" with something I had printed out from their website, we got $500 off. I'm glad I had done that --- it was just the list of vehicles and prices.

They have about 15 Priuses in stock now, listed on their site:

http://www.ourismanfairfaxtoyota.com/Results.asp