1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats the wisest way to Use the EV switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Feb 13, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have heard stories of many who feel comfrotable taking thier batteries down to the bottom of where the EV switch will allow on thier trek home and leaving the battery that low during the night and starting off the next day with the low battery and charging it up when the ICE comes on for warmup.

there has been discussion as to whether this is wise.... especially if the battery is old or not healthy as a weak cell could possibly drain far enough down to reverse polarity during the night.

What I propose those of us with the EV switch..... why not come home with a "full" battery and when you start out the next morning, do it in pure EV mode?... the battery will drain over the 1st mile "the ICE has never engaged yet" and then when the ICE does come on due to the battery being low it will immediately charge back up?

I think we have a "choice" with the switch were those without it are forced to do it the first way or not at all.

I think this would be a wiser use and help longevity of the battery.

Any comments?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tend to reserve my EV button use for those times where the ICE is clearly unnecessary or will clearly be less efficient that EV or to defer ICE start up until such time that it can run continuously. Examples follow.

1)In the mornings I often stop at the end of my ~100yard long driveway to pick up the newspaper. I usually go into EV mode on start up, go to the paper, pick it up, then hit the EV button again to start the ICE since my next 1+ mile of driving will be with ICE on and I can get the ICE temp up to ~150 degrees F even in fairly cold weather if I used my Engine Block heater, and ~120-130 without it.

2)I have a stop sign at the end of that mile, just before that is a ~1/8th mile downhill section. At the crest of that hill I hit the EV button to shut off the ICE since it tends to want to stay on since the ICE temp isn't quite in the ideal zone. I then recharge with regen braking until the stop sign.

3)I leave that stop sign and drive on. I use a similar technique as I go along. As I get within ~1/8-1/4 mile of each stop sign I coast down to 34mph, hit EV to shut off the ICE, then glide or coast or brake to my stop.

4)As I approach trafficed areas where I know I will have to wait through at least 2 lights but will have to move up as other traffic passes through I go ahead and hit EV. That way I don't have the ICE accidently start up when I'm just pulling forward 50 feet or so. Once it's clear I'll be able to make it past the stop light I jump out of EV mode by hitting the button so the ICE can warm up and recharge the battery.

5)As I enter a parking lot where speeds will stay low I hit EV and silently cruise into my parking spot.

6)When leaving the parking area I usually use EV much like I did in #1, there are often several stops for pedestrians, or a wait to merge into traffic or whatever, the ICE will run (inefficiently) during all this waiting, still won't warm up the ICE adequately, and just burns fuel and drains the battery. So I use EV until I can get into the main traffic flow. Obvioiusly, in some areas this won't work if there are multiple stop lights within a short distance.

Despite these efforts, it sometimes fails, I'll run the SOC too low to make it the entire distance (rare) or I'll think I was going to make it through a light only to have something prevent that, or I'll just accidently hit the EV button and start up the ICE again. But, for the most part, I think I get some nice little gains with that technique. In no case do I attempt to force EV mode for long distances or intentionally stay in EV mode until the battery SOC is so low that the ECU forces me out. I just don't think that's a wise way to use it b/c then you run so inefficiently trying both to provide power and to recharge the battery. Of course, there are exceptions such as when there's a long downhill recharge via regenerative braking or something coming up.

Hope that helps.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice tips Evan.. I know you have posted these in the past, but they are often hard to dig up and rewording with different scenarios is nice.

It sounded like you are thinking on the same terms as I in repect that you don't want to purposely drain to the minimum routinely "unless" you can immediately make it up with regen with a nice drop of a hill coming up.

I too have noticed how.. yes I can drain the battery down to squat and no it may not be hurting it "esp since its only temporary", but the mpg hit you take over next mile to power the car "and" charge it back up really sucks!

Factor that in with conversion losses for putting energy "in" the battery and then to take it back "out".... you are not really helping mpg.

But many downhill grades are long enough that you know without draining the battery first with EV you will not be able to fully take advantage of the kinetic payback the downhill grade offers because a battery thats already 5 of 6 bars full gets filled up to quickly, then you miss out on the remaining kinetic energy the downhill grade offers because there is no place to store it?

And yes there are times when you don't need a 78hp engine to be on to putter around in a parking lot or sit in traffic..... true the car will do EV anyway in traffic, but its aweful easy to accidently trigger the ICE to coming on since you don't have as much grace for acceleration in EV without the switch activated.

So bottom line.. unless your doing it for fun or show off... there is no point in draining the battery down if it will have to be made back up with pure gas power... There are good stategies to use if you know the terrain.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

It does no harm leaving a nimh battery low overnight. This is a problem with lead acid batteries.

The reasion for leaving it low is that the recharge for some of us is basically free, since the car runs to heat up and the same amount of fuel can sometimes do both. All depends on conditions where you are driving first thing in the morning.

Only time you should worry leaving it low is if you are storing the car for 6 months or something.

There could be extra wear from running it far up and down more with a EV button, but the car does a pretty good job of covering the range the EV does even without the button.

I always get to 2 pink bars if I park with AC going. And Green bars regularly in winter. EV works within this range and I rarely get it to go up or down more than 2 bars.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only reason I can think to leave it low is if you live on top of a large hill and your immediate driving will be all kinetic payback.
    As far as heatup..... you can drive at at given speed on a certain terrain during heatup and look at the mpg....... and then drive at at given speed on a certain terrain during heatup and "charging the battery too" at the same time and see the difference in the mpg hit. I don't think much of it is free if any.

That theory on a normal engine works more, but the atkinson engine integrated into the prius is pretty good about only doing what it needs to get the job done and no more..... so if you add more "battery recharge" you will pay for it.

Have any others witnessed this to the contrary?

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In city traffic I get horrible gas milage when the Prius is warming u (since I can't control the speed and have to stop at redlights). I hate that screen when it shows the engine runnning and no power to the wheel but power to charging the battery ARGH! I get it evey mornig when it's cold and I'm standing still. There is now way I can avoid this but at least as can make sure that as much of it as possible goes to recharging the battery so I try to leave my Prius on low battery whenever possible as I know I will charge 1-3 bars as soon as I run it in cold weather. I don't have experience in Warm weather and that might change my habit.

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

There's no theory needed here. It is quite obvious if you watch your fuel flow during warm up.
    By the same token even if I don't discharge the battery I can drive at 10 mph or 30 mph burning about the same gasoline. The Prius pours on the extra for warm up and if you choose not to use it it gets wasted somewhere.

So my commute I have to start out slow and because if this I rarely get a 5 minute bar starting out over 25 mpg whether I ran the battery down or not. If I am able to start out a bit faster my mpg is more like 35 for the first 5 minutes.

There is no drop in mpg from the battery charging during this kind of warm up period, plus the car warms faster so it gets to normal mpg quicker.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds like as soon as you leave your house your in that traffic stuff with red lights etc?... that may be even more reason to leave your car charged and use EV in the morning when you leave.. 'unless you need heat when your first get in?"

I just figure at least for me.. I either use it as I get home or as I leave home... I can't have both...so why not pick the one that will be easiest on the batteries?

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The problem with using EV exclusively for the first mile or so is that in EV mode you have to drive with a feather-touch. Since the Prius was not designed to be a pure EV, it does not have the power in EV for normal driving. Accelerating that slowly is rude to the drivers behind you.

I find that in extreme cold weather (as when I lived in Fargo) if the SOC was at 6 bars in the evening, it would become all green and stay that way a long time before it was warm in the morning. Since it is going to run for a long time, might as well charge the battery from a low starting point. And since I cannot drive in a courteous manner in EV mode the only option is to drain it in the evening.

Note that even at 2 bars, where the car starts the engine, the battery is far from discharged. The Prius just does not let the battery get very low.

Further, my method for drawing down the battery is not to drive entirely in EV. I use EV only at slow steady speeds. I start the engine to accelerate from a stop (which is more efficient than EV, and more courteous to drivers behind me) and then engage EV once I'm up to speed. I aim for around 4 bars at night, not the minimum 2. Drawing down the battery with this intermittant method is far more efficient than a mile of pure EV, because accelerating on EV is inefficient.

Otherwise I use EV much as Evan does: if the SOC is 6 bars or above, AND speed is slow, without acceleration, AND the MFD shows low instantaneous mpg, then and only then do I engage EV, disengaging it when the SOC drops below 6 bars. Also I use it in parking lots and during very slow or slow-and-go traffic conditions, and sometimes coming up to a traffic light if the engine does not stop on its own (i.e., if it's not quite warm yet.)

I never use EV for long periods. Essentially, I try to immitate how the car itself uses EV. Once the car is warmed up I seldom need to, other than getting it down to 4 bars on my last drive of the day (which is often my only drive of the day). And parking lots. I love to glide along noiselessly in parking lots.

10. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Not an option for me. Too cold in the morning to use any EV. At least till spring.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    it almost sounds like you guys are "not" talking about "switched" EV.... because the touch is not so critical with it engaged and you can use it from the start even when its cold.. if you don't mind going without heat for a bit.

It appears its really a matter of where you live. I have to drive about a while through residential streets about a mile before I hit traffic. And I leave so early there is not traffic anyway for quite a while.
    I have no problem under 34mph the first mile.. but others may not find that practicle.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I certainly am talking about "switched" EV. And the colder it is, the more touchy it is. In the heart of a North Dakota winter it is almost impossible to prevent the engine from kicking in, probably because the cold battery is so much less efficient.

But even here in Spokane, it is inefficient to accelerate in EV mode. It therefore makes more sense to accelerate using the engine, and for that reason, the end of the drive is the better time to deplete the battery, if one is going to do that.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I don't debate about it not being efficient and I have only had my EV switch for a week and I don't have temps near that cold, but so far my ICE "never" comes on unless I punch it hard or go over 34 or purposely turn it off or the moment my battery gets down to 2 bars.
    Are you saying if it was cold enough it would disengage even though the battery was charged more "like at 5 bars" like the previous poster said?

No worries.. I must have misunderstood.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sometimes use it for stop-n-go traffic, when I'd like to accelerate
    a *little* harder than the system will tolerate without lighting
    the ICE when the line moves up during a light cycle or whatever.
    Very occasionally I'll use it on the last bits of arriving home,
    when I notice that the coolant temp has dropped and I see no reason
    to add more heat to it to get another 50 feet toward the driveway.
    The idea of using EV to reach a low SOC when you know there's a long
    downhill ahead is also quite valid; leaves more room to capture that
    potential energy from the descent into the battery. That's a net
    gain despite all the various conversion inefficiencies in the path.
    Other than that, I mostly let the system do its own thing. Especially
    when the pack is cold and it'll only give me 40 or 50 amps either
    way in the first place.
    _H*

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can only add what I *plan* to use it for since I have neither the car nor the switch!

I often have to shuffle our cars around depending on several factors. Moving the EVs is a treat, but firing a cold ICE just to move it eight feet is like putting needles in my eye. Allowing the Prius to move in and out of the garage without firing the ICE will be my main use of the EV switch. Plus, when my friends start giving me grief, I'll use the button to pretend that my Prius is an EV too...

16. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Question: I've been mostly away from the forum for a year or so but when I last frequented here there was concern regarding the possibility of warranty problems if one installed a second source EV switch. Has this issue been resolved?

I see where I can purchase an EV mod for $45 that uses one of the steering post stocks as the switch. I want one. So .. What's the deal.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No change. I doubt we'll know the answer for a couple more years. Somebody with an EV installed is going to have to have a battery failure while in warranty and see what Toyota does/says.

1)I think it's unlikely that anyone will experience a battery failure in the warranty period
    2)I think it's unlikely Toyota will notice that there is an EV button.
    3)I think that even if they know about the EV button it's unlikely they'll refuse to honor the warranty.

But I could be totally wrong. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the risk to you. There certainly have not been any issues reported to date. My battery seems to be working fine, I use my EVb many times daily and have done so for over 2 years now.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When the battery is cold it cannot deliver as many amps. In EV mode, the harder you press the pedal, the more amps the battery must deliver. If it cannot meet the demand, the ICE will start.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was sent an email asking me questions that have been rehashed several times on this thread... but I will post it nevertheless because there appears to be a need to combine all the issues into one little package. We have talked about alot and much is very integrated and deep beyond most understanding if they are fairly new.

Here are the questions proposed:
    Answer:

It is not supposed to void warranty.. and this one that works with the cruise is very discreet as you can't see it at all!

There is much discussion you can seek about the use of this. But yes you can go all the way down to 2 bars when engaged and it gives you more grace on how much you can press the accelerator without it disengaging.

Gas mileage can be improved if used correctly and can be worse if not.

Basically if you learn to use it where you are just sitting there or puttering around a parking lot or in traffic where you don't need the full power of the engine.. its good to not have to use the engine if not needed. True the car is pretty good about doing this anyway, but this gives you "way" more control and latitude.

Its also fun to show off when you want, but as far as gas mileage..

there are little opportunities you can take advantage of with the switch.

The car cannot see or know what is coming up, what the traffic looks like or that there is a big drop in terrain in front of you the next mile. You can drain your battery on purpose if you can afford driving under 34mph so that you can take full advantage of the kinetic payback when you approach a hill that has a long decent. Thats just one example. You can manuver around parking lots etc without sound or need of the ICE "internal Combustion Engine". You can move your car from point A to point B without ever firing up the engine! Even if its been sitting all night and the engine is cold!

Its a very cool mod for less than 50 bucks. The computer is already set for it.. all this does is access what you already have. If the computer was not already set for it, it would cost hundreds to gain this control.

I hope thats a decent nutshell.

20. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

This has been a great thread. I have the Coastal EV kit in my shed. Of course, the weather was lousy snow & cold after I got , as my wife calls it, Baby, last Friday. As soon as I get a little time and some not freezing weather, in it goes.

Thanks Windstrings & Dr E , et al