1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's this number in my windows?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by pdhenry, Sep 15, 2008.

1. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A month or two after picking up my Prius this summer I noticed that the four windows have an 800 number plus a 9-character serial number of some sort. The car is a package 6 but I didn't pay for any kind of VIN-etching (and the etched number isn't the car's VIN).

The 800 number is 800-565-7535. Googling this number doesn't get me anything.
    The serial number has the format CT #######.

If it's on the other windows I haven't noticed it.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe your finance guy forgot to give you the sales pitch for it? I don't have anything etched in my windows, but my GF's Avalon does because it was originally sold in Texas. Apparently they add it there.

3. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have you tried calling the number?

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called the number and got the customer satisfaction department of "Caltech Protective Coating".

5. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its another plan by the man, to keep the masses down. :D

Actually it sounds like a dealer add on scheme, its etched on to your glass as part of some kind of package they either sold you, were going to try to sell you, or was done at another dealer, as some kind of trade to get your car.

It was either to identify a paint sealant package (more likely), or as part of a total protection package, it sounds like. Basically, to make you think you got something for the package, more than anything.

6. pviebey

pviebey New Member

Yep. If your car gets parted out, they can get caught. It should have been on your bill of sale (you paid extra for it...)

7. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nope, I didn't pay for anything like this. I verified the final price to the dollar a couple of times before taking possession.