1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's under thte fog lamp covers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by grahamy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. grahamy

grahamy New Member

Model:
    III
    Does anyone know what's underneath those ugly fog lamp covers? A gaping unpainted hole? Or a recess into which lamps can be fitted? Anyone know how to remove those covers?

Yesterday I took delivery of my new Prius III with solar and was about to drive to an installer to have fog lamps fitted. Then I panicked. What was under those covers? Would I need to buy some extra body part to frame the lights? Rather than risk driving around with exposed eyeless sockets, I decided to delay.

Help anyone?

2. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This has been my gripe since I saw the car this winter. I hope Toyota is listening and making an accessory for fog lamps available in models other than package V or I will jump ship with a jetta tdi.

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doesn't sound like you're sold on Prius if that's all it takes to jump ship.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a look, let us know.

5. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This comes as a complete surprise to me!!
    :deadhorse:

6. William B. Kayen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For $32,000, I want the car the way I want it. I don't think that is asking too much.

7. Maineiac

Maineiac Monkey Wrencher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know about your area, but here in Maine, I consider a car w/o fog lights ill-equipped. But you should know that adding fogs to a Jetta TDI ain't cheap and requires giving up your light out trouble indicator lamp. Still, I'm happy with my TDI, and trusting fogs will become available for the wife's Prius IV somewhere down the road. (In the UK, fogs are available on ALL prius. Note to Toyota: Why do you think we're called "New England?" Give us an option!)

8. William B. Kayen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The tdi doesn't have a stupid plastic plug where a fog lamp should go. If the prius didn't design the car for a fog lamp I wouldn't care. The look of the front end with that plastic plug looks cheap and not very high tec. The tdi has a nice grill and doesn't scream out "I bought a car that is missing something". Or "I settled for a car and didn't get all the options." Shame on Toyota for thinking people won't care if there is a plastic plug in the bumper where the fog lamp should be.

Besides, in other markets around the world, fog lamps are standard on the Prius. Why not here?

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Frankly, I've never seen any functional fog lights on production vehicle.

All they do is light up the ground in the 15 ft directly in front of the car and do very little actual lighting of the road.

The only decent ones are aftermarket, but even most of those are crap because the people who install them don't align them properly so they end up blinding oncoming drivers.

10. Maineiac

Maineiac Monkey Wrencher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Based on more than 30 years' experience with cars of several different manufacture, here and in Europe, I thoroughly disagree.

1 person likes this.
  11. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are buying a $32,000 Prius, that would be a Prius V, and you would have the Fog Lights.

Otherwise, If you are willing to pay $32,000, you will be able to get any other model of Prius, and install aftermarket lights on it for you, and still get you out the door or under $32k. (exclusive of taxes).

12. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

This is somewhat true. Foglights only work well when the main headlights are shut off. Most production cars do not allow for this any longer.

If your main headlights (either high or low beams) are left on, in fog or snow there will be too much backscatter off of the the water drops or snow flakes, rendering the fog lights less effective. But when the headlights are shut off (and assuming that the fog lights are adjusted properly) the backscatter from them will be low enough that it doesn't interfere with the view from the cockpit. In fact, that is the entire purpose of fog lights, to keep the roadway illuminated while significantly reducing backscatter.

Years ago I installed aftermarket fog lights one of my cars and they worked well, because I would turn off the headlights when I used them. Living in the Northeast at the time, they came in very handy for both fog and snow.

That being said, since I've propery adjusted the HID headlights on my Prius, I can actually see a small amount of benefit from the factory fogs. But just not very much.

On the other hand, if all someone cares about is being "cool", then the utlimate functionality is unimportant, I guess. For some people, it's all about "form" over "substance".

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    32k can get you a V with functional fog lights...

14. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remember, the Gen III V's start at $28,020

15. William B. Kayen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no way to install aftermarket fogs on a package IV. I realize package V comes with fogs, but I also want a moonroof. I wish it was as easy as you all say it is, but it's not. I would have the car already if the fogs came with IV.

16. mr.whit

mr.whit Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why do you say "There is no way to install aftermarket fogs on a package IV."? I feel there will be a way to retrofit some sort of lights in the same spot.

17. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. I think that's what he meant since the beginning...32 K might get you a V, but with taxes included, 32 k also gets you a IV with Nav and Moonroof, and a lot of folks want that. I think that's what he meant.

18. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I work with fiberglass making MGB body parts. I plan to investigate molding a new set of blanks to smooth out the opening and have them painted to match the body color.

Might be a new part to add to my parts list... hmmmm.

1 person likes this.
  19. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Move swiftly, do it quick. Some people here seem to verging on slashing their wrists. This could earn you a Nobel Peace Prize!

2 people like this.
  20. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Man, I'd rather do that than install aftermarket fogs! Please keep us updated on your progress. PM me if you want to make some to sell, I'd buy a set.

1 person likes this.