1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's up with the water pump?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Nov 26, 2010.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've read several reports here about failed water pumps. Well, Pearl stated leaving drops of pink coolant on the garage floor a few weeks ago. I thought perhaps I had overfilled the overflow tank so I just ignored it. Finally warmed up so this morning had a look. Water pump! Pulley had lots of pink decoration all over it. Went to the nearby dealer and they set an appointment for next Tuesday to replace it (warranty - yes!).

These things are not supposed to fail! This isn't new technology, it's old and very tried and known. What happened? Bad batch of seals?

Oh, and those Disney inspired clips that hold the front cover on (they're Mickey Mouse!), I trashed all but two trying to remove them. They were at freezing temp. Dealer wants $2.35 each for them. I'll replace them with -real- fasteners!

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whats the mileage on your 2G David? That does suck!!! H

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I find these plastic clips fascinating. Each type is a marvel of design.
    However, they do get brittle, and they do break in my hands too.
    I think I have paid about 80 US cents a piece for them.

If I remember right for the fastener you are talking about, you unscrew the top a bit and then raise it around 5 mm. Then you can pull the entire thing out.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I keep forgetting to look at the mileage but it's around 50,000 km.

Yup, I used the "correct" procedure to remove the clips. It doesn't work when the temp is at freezing, and I just destroyed them, pretty much on purpose. The heads shattered into three or more pieces. As I posted above, I'll replace them with -real- fasteners that are easy to remove, regardless of temp. Maybe stainless screws.

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have learned to be gentle with those fasteners and they manage to survive. Very gentle in very cold climates like Edmonton, brrrrrrrrr!! H