1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's worse?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Aug 22, 2007.

?
  1. Not doing a search before asking a question.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not answering the question but telling the person to do their own search.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really wish that people would use the search function before asking commonly asked questions...many of which are in the stickies if they'd even bother to spend 10-15min searching for answers.

But, to me, it's also very annoying when someone decides to reply to the post with the extremely unhelpful "try searching" comment. It seems that if you're bothered that someone hasn't searched for an answer that you could either ignore the post all together or provide the answer along with a politely worded nudge to use a google search (which works much better than the integrated engine) for some of the common questions before asking.

What do ya'll think?

2. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

I have to say that it's more annoying to have someone post a "try searching you ____" comment.

I understand that the search feature is here to help people, and I agree that it should be used. However, I think some people want a more personal answer to their questions.

That being said, I think people should use the search functionality [I know I've been guilty in the past] but others should lay off on the offensive rebuttals.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For me, i tend to start off a reply with something along the lines of "this question has been beaten more than a dead horse... try looking around a bit before asking in the future", then i'll provide links to other posts that asked the question and were answered.

As far as i'm concerned, i think it's worse asking a common question than it is replying without answering the question. I'm a frequent member on several rather technical boards (a great way to get help with problems at work, and to help others with stuff i've learned on the job), and it's generally accepted chat room protocol on those boards to do a search before asking any question.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's hard to say. I guess it's like the saying that if you give someone a fish (i.e. give an answer) they are fed for a day. Teach someone to fish (i.e. let them know about the search function) they are fed for a lifetime. But the word there is "teach." If you just say "catch your own fish," without explaining how, that wouldn't work.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly like to give the newbies the benefit of the doubt. Some/many have never been participants in web forums before and I think they could easily be put off by mean spirited/rude replies such as "do your own search, this has been beaten into the ground".
    I participate in a few bargain shopping/hot deals sites and find them some of the most rude I've ever seen. If you don't use the exact format that the veterans demand or leave out one piece of information they consider critical they jump all over you. The result, I don't post stuff very often. I just read what's there, let them do all the work and have a bitter taste in my mouth for those sites.
    Here at PC I used to have a lot of patience and would answer each and every repeat of the 'how do I disable the back-up beep' etc. Now days I have grown a bit tired of answering and feel that there are others who are happy to do so...so I just ignore the majority of those posts. I guess what I don't understand is the urge for folks to be rude instead of just ignoring the post or being polite and helpful.

I did jump on a member a little the other day who asked if her battery would drain completely in traffic...this was a member who's been here for 2 years I think...she should've known the answer and/or how to find it.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Perhaps if we just reply "read stickies" or something like that it would refer them up to the top of the page <shrug> If it's something like how to turn off the reverse beep, which requires a detailed answer, that would be best. If it's a quick answer then I might be inclined to answer it again.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In defense of asking stupid questions:

1. Sometimes a search, even for a common subject, can come up empty. A poorly worded query, or a lack of enough depth of knowledge to even come up with a reasonable query can sometimes result in failed or stalled searches.

2. Panic or confusion. Someone is so flustered by a problem that they just want to ask someone else the question. Even though they're obiously computer-savvy enough to log in search for the answer, there's still a primal need for us to communicate directly with each other, and I think that instinct kicks in sometimes when a search would often do better.

3. It keeps the forum active. I know we're not struggling to fill air-time here at PriusChat, but I bet you that for every dumb/common question that gets asked, the answers provided will deflect 10 of the same. Personally I've been grateful to people's answers to other people's dumb questions once in a while. I pretty much exclusively browse PC by clicking "View All New Posts," so I don't see the dumb answers to dumb questions unless someone asks... then I get to say "hmm... I wasn't in a rush to find out about that, but I didn't know, and now I don't need to ask or search for that later."

As Efusco says, if you don't like it, ignore it, and leave it to someone else to give the easy answer or the link to someone else's in-depth answer.

8. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A big factor-- and one that's often impossible to know-- is whether the user posting the question did indeed try to search, or if they just jumped-in and asked. To be honest, the search feature on the forum totally bites, and misleads users into thinking they've searched. The biggest problem is that it always searches on phrases when multiple words are used; few users, especially newbies, are going to expect that when they have become used to using engines such as Google.

It was mentioned recently that there used to be a widget on the forum page to do a Google search of the site, but it was lost at some point and never put back. I think that would go a very long way to helping the users who tried searching, but came up empty.

BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to turn off the beeping sound when I'm in reverse?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know actually. I remember when PC was young and boy did we have 100s of similar threads and we wouldn't mind and simply answered. Now that PC has grown, it really is becoming hard to answer every single question. The Search function here isn't exactly the greatest. Even if I know a thread exists, it takes several tries on the search function to find it.

Also, sometimes you just need an answer asap (esp. if it's troubleshooting) so a new thread is required.

I'm also trying to search old threads that answer my question (esp. since I'm here long enough to remember if these threads exist) and re-use old threads if I need clarification of what's said in that thread. Hopefully, this will encourage others to do so too (and also save the database from numerous repeated threads).

10. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 22 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]500270[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with what you've said here. In addition, some people search and see so many answers [for example, search for EV mod] and they don't know where to look. The figure the easiest way is to post a topic and get a response in one place.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it's a simple search, I'll tell the person what to search for ("Guess Gage" is a favorite one). Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to search for fish, and he can find them whenever he wants.

If it's a more complex search, then I'll link to the answer. "Capacity -Tank" to figure out luggage space but not fuel tank capacity was a recent one. I assume people who ask FAQs can't deal with booleans, so I don't even bother explaining them.

If it's an obvious troll, I'll either ignore it or give a snarky answer, depending on my mood.

12. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think whats worse is everyone likes to scream "TROLL!!!!!" if they dont like the other person's opinion.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Which is worse? Being too lazy to do a search or too tired to answer an oft asked question?

We had the same problem on the Highlander Forum. "Bonny Portmore".

14. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

15. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I will usually try to run a quick search myself, and post a link to the thread with the answer, along with a suggestion that there is more information out there, and they should search for themselves. This is a good compromise because it minimizes the typed response required, shows them that the answer is out there, and encourages them to explore for themselves. I also know that the search engine is actually pulling up an answer, so they didn't already try searching...

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before telling someone to search, I ALWAYS do the search first myself, since I know the search on PC is, um, Special. If it quickly comes up with the answer to the question, I post what I searched on. If I need to fiddle with it to get the answer, I link to the answer.

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    starting this topic alone makes you evil, you know. don't worry, i'm already there. :p

in all seriousness, i really do feel there is a need for either some kind of introductory informational email to new members, like a site roadmap, or a really obviously placed FAQ thread. say, for the extremely common stuff like MFDs in the 04s, the guess gauge, etc.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 22 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]500432[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Gal, this, honestly, wasn't because of or aimed at you at all....I'd totally forgotten that thread until you mentioned it.

We all have our own reasons for being here and our own motivations for responding the way we do. We could create a great/perfect FAQ with the top 20 questions asked here and sent a pointer e-mail to every new member we'd still get the questions. Worse, it would add fuel to the fire for those who want to be rude "Didn't you read the FAQ?" "Didn't you read the welcome e-mail?"...

Now, that said....
    Maybe one/some of the folks who are most frustrated could put your energy into constructing a nice accessible easy to read "Prius Newbie Top 20 FAQ". I'd be glad to edit it and post it as a Sticky. Be sure to include relevant links, clear instructions, pictures, etc. We could probably create it in a thread-like format so all the questions would be in the first post and each question would hyperlink to it's correct answer in the posts below. But don't worry about that. You guys make it, maybe start a thread to figure out what the 'real' top 20 questions are, divy up the work, etc. You get the compilation to me and I'll post it.

Then we can just link the newbies to the FAQ sticky..
    Here are some suggested topics
    1)What's the best way to find an old topic on PriusChat so I don't repeat a question? (check stickies, site: priuschat.com on google search, etc)
    2)How do I turn off the reverse beep.
    3)Why are the controls grayed out on the NAV and how do I access that stuff in motion.
    4)Why won't my battery ever charge all the way?
    5)Will the battery drain completely if it gets too low? Should I shut off the car when it gets to 1 pink bar?
    6)Why can I only get 9 gallons of gas in when the last bar on the fuel guage was blinking?
    7)Why can't I see CD tracks/titles on the display?
    8)Why don't I get 55mpg?

I'm betting we can get the other 12 in just a few minutes.

My point being...I think people who snidely/rudely tell people to do a search without giving the answer are as much part of the problem as those who ask questions without trying to do a little work on their own to check for the answer. I think it would be far more productive and beneficial to the community to put those energies to work being part of the solution to the problem rather than creating an environment of negativity and being part of the problem.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this thread, It reminded me to search for a problem I have asked for help and recieved no answer on. I found the answer, now I can fix the problem.