1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by mastersgtbob, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mastersgtbob

mastersgtbob New Member

Excuse me for living, but I'm not seeing so far the only Hybrid car on TV, why not. Also when we do see cars advertised, there's is no mention of gas mileage, why not? All I see is power this and power that. I want to see how far I can go with the least amount of gas used. I don't give a flip amount how big the engine is. When are our so called American car manufactures going to get IT?? Gas prices are going through the roof, and I will admit for now I have a gas hog (Jeep Grand), but within the next two years (2006), I'm saving for a Hybrid myself.
    So.................it looks like with the exception of the Ford company, the japanese are going to rule the road.
    have a nice day :roll:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a couple issues at play....
    1)There's been a ton of bitching and moaning about what little Prius advertising there has been b/c people who've been waiting 6 months think it's wrong to advertise a car that noone can get. It also doesn't do much good for Toyota to advertise a car they can't supply.

2)GM just doesn't get it as far as I can tell...some CEO will lose their job over it in the next 3-4 years when everyone else has come to the plate and GM is no longer the #1 car manufacturer and gas is $2.50+/gallon and everyone wants a hybrid.

3)Though I applaud Ford for their efforts, it's clear that they are WAY behind...let's face it, they announced plans for the Escape hybrid 4 years ago, have been working on it since (presumably), have had to delay introduction twice, and just now, in the last month, bought the OLD Toyota technology to put into 'their' hybrid. They've got a long way to go.

4)You're right, and people will see it, but not overnight, and not all people.
    --evan

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yup; but I would think that if you found yourself in their position (i.e., GMs) -- way, way behind in the technology -- the smartest thing you can do is (1) license the technology from someone else, (2) learn all you can from manufacturign with it, and (3) use it to leapfrog your own technical research.