1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's Your Favorite TV Program?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Alnilam, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    By their Tivo will you know them.... (It says in the Bible.)

Right now, on a regular basis, I'd pick "House" for the great dialog and challenging situations. (Bill Maher is off the air for a few months. And Lewis Black isn't on regularly.)

2. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, well this is in no particular order:

The Daily Show (with Jon Stewart)
    The Colbert Report
    Lingo
    Wheel of Fortune
    Star Trek (in all of its infinite incarnations)
    CBS Evening News (with Katie Couric)
    Today Show
    House Hunters
    What You Get for the Money
    Modern Marvels
    MythBusters
    Family Guy
    Simpsons
    American Dad
    The War at Home

Well thats pretty much all the shows I watch... I would have a difficult time ranking them as I enjoy them all more or less equally...

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Battlestar Galactica

Grey's Anatomy

4. Prius313

Prius313 Member

Star Trek (also in all of it's incarnations)

Present time:
    Numbers
    Wife Swap

5. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    House is the only show my wife and I watch on a regular basis. We actually block off Tuesday nights so we don't miss it. Our devotion to the show actually borders on pathetic. [​IMG]

Other than that, the occasional Seinfeld rerun is about all we watch.

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Documentaries about animals on Discovery and Animal planet (Wild discovery, Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom etc) and any forensic programs on Discovery or Court TV.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

HBO's OZ, and Sopranos

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 18 2006, 07:20 AM) [snapback]363665[/snapback]</div>
    You guys definately need a TIVO for Christmas...I no longer EVER worry about missing a TV show...many of my favorite shows I don't even know when they come on.

Heroes--I like the concept, hoping it comes to fruition with time...the show takes some dedication from the viewer as it's plot development is X-files like and slow.

MythBusters--speaks for itself

Good Eats--Keeping my hopes of becoming a Chef in my next career alive and well

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip--Excellent show...totally different setting than West Wing, but still has that same fee of quick intelligent dialog, dry whit, occasionally slapstick, but good plot and intriging characters.

Survivor--my guilty pleasure I guess.

PPT/WPT--Makes me feel like I know everything about poker despite rarely playing a live hand.

The Tivo captures a few other 'Season Passes', most of which I can watch or not if and when I have time...Iron Chef America is a lot of fun, but hard to really learn from.

Sports, esp. Football but also St.Louis Cardinals Baseball have become staples esp. with my kids (one of them anyway) taking a big interest in sports.

Oh, and FWIW, I just can't get into any of this huge generation of cops shows/forensics shows...don't know why, but they just don't keep my interest.

Also, there was a show (probably still showing Reruns) called Survivorman on Discovery that was quite good...one dude put in a real world survival situation, alone with a couple video cameras and minimal survival gear. Did all his own filming and spent a week in the wilderness and showing how to get out. Very believable, realistic and educational. That show's now been replaced with a Brad Pitt-esqu Bear Grills (sp) in a show called Man vs Wild which, while interesting, is very much dramatized, he gets naked at least once per show (blurred out) whether needed or not. Does some stupidly risky things just to show off (IMO) and does things that would be very stupid in real survival situations and would likely get you killed. He's got a camera crew with him and most scenes are clearly set ups. I've been Tivoing it, but won't be watching any more, I just get too pissed off that he's going to kill someone who thinks his stuff is the 'right' way to survive.

Everest Extreme has been a good documentary of a recent Everest summit.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not watching anything on a regular basis. We used to. I remember working our schedules around Thursday night when we would watch Cheers. Hill Street Blues, Frazer, and Seinfeld were also favorites. I liked West Wing, but could never remember to watch it, so I mostly watched it in reruns. I'm not sure why we no longer follow shows. I tell myself it's because they aren't written well anymore, but I suspect it's mostly me. Now when I watch TV, it's catch as catch can: I sit down and flip through the channels. Often as not, I'll end up watching Discovery, National Geographic, or The History Channel, since their programming is not plot related and you can jump in at any time. All of these new channels may be part of the change, plus the distraction of computers.

Tom

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Dec 18 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]363683[/snapback]</div>
    Another man in need of a Tivo...you don't need to worry about when stuff is on. Try catching Studio 60...I think it's on on Monday nights...I think you'll find it intelligently written and a good watch.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I normally claim that I don't watch much TV but then name a dozen shows I like.

Shows I record for viewing or watch on a regular basis:
    Battlestar Galactica
    Dr. Who
    Futurama (of course)
    Everybody Hates Chris
    My Name is Earl
    The Office
    Cubs games
    Bears games

Shows I will watch if I find them on and I'm flipping channels:
    The Simpsons
    Daily Show
    Colbert Report
    MythBusters
    Extreme Makeover, Home Edition
    The first three seasons of The Family Guy
    The first three seasons of South Park

I created a Favorites list on my cable box named "Nerdy" comprised of all the standard documentary and educational channels. I spend a lot of time watching documentaries.

12. Prakash

Prakash New Member

The Murphy Brown Show
    It's a Different World
    Mad About You
    The Roseanne Show
    (Did I mention I was stuck in the past?!)

The Discovery Science Channel

"How its Made"
    "The Cosmos"
    "Survivorman"

CNN
    The Situation Room
    360* Anderson Cooper

College is out for a month.....

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Scrubs

The Daily Show

The Office

My Name is Earl

ER

Law and Order (Any of 'em)

CSI (Any of 'em)

Miami Ink

Any and all of the animal rescue shows on Animal Planet

The only one that I try to catch is ER every Thursday. The rest, I pick up if I'm doing nothing, or cleaning the house, etc. Scrubs at 7 and the Daily Show at 8 on Comedy Central means I get to watch those while cleaning the kitchen after dinner.

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 18 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]363677[/snapback]</div>
    In case of an emergency, the VCR does a good enough job for us. Of course, if you're buying .... :D

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Dec 18 2006, 08:19 AM) [snapback]363693[/snapback]</div>
    Since they're free...sure...just pick up the monthly subscription cost and I'll get you the box! Seriously, this think will change your life...sort of...at least the way you watch TV.

My comment came b/c we used to stress over catching "West Wing" every Wed. night, we'd rush to get the kids to bed a little early, right after supper so we would be sure not to miss it. After Tivo that never happens. If we want to go out, or go to Tae Kwon Do, or just spend extra time reading to the kids we do it. We do the stuff we need to do around the house, when we're both ready we sit down and watch, if someone calls we pause it.

Further, if there's a cool show someone watches that they tell me about at work I just log onto Tivo.com and program my Tivo to record it to see if I like it too. If Survivor has a 3 hour Sunday night special finale (like last night) even though the show is usually just an hour on Thursday the Tivo automatically records it as part of my "Season Pass"...I don't have to do anything or even remember when it's coming on...it's just there the next time I look. My wife likes to watch educational shows about the Maya and Ancient Egypt....we have the Tivo programmed to capture any shows where those are one of the main subjects...

I just can't emphesis too much how it improves my TV experience. Part of that is my weird work schedule (some days, some evenings, some overnights some weekdays, some weekends, ALL chaotic and unpredictible)...When I'm off, like today, I can sit down and catch up on a show from the last week or two when I didn't have achance to watch.... a 1 hour show I can watch in about 40-45min since I can skip commercials. If I get interupted when I come back I can start at the same place I stopped before even weeks later without need to fast-forward or anything.

I honestly had no idea how much of an impact Tivo would have and will never be without a DVR again...and I'll do all I can to make sure it's Tivo (I have a Dish DVR at my lake house and don't like it a bit..very much NOT user friendly).

Sorry to hijack and ramble... :huh:

16. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 18 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]363706[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. My wife and I watch couple shows every night, but most of the time we record them and watch them at our convenience - without commercials! Our favorite part of the DVR experience is being able to pause live TV when the dogs need to go out.

Now about the shows...
    Brothers & Sisters
    Sunset 60
    Medium
    Lost
    My Name Is Earl
    The Office
    Scrubs
    30 Rock
    ER
    Good Eats
    Jeopardy
    Carnivale
    Weeds
    Huff
    and almost anything on HGTV

17. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We are without cable, so there's a number of things we only get to watch when the DVDs come out.

The Wire (on DVD)
    The Sopranos (on DVD)
    Daily Show and Colbert Report (whenever we manage to see it somewhere)
    Everybody Hates Chris
    The Office
    Grey's Anatomy

Guilty Pleasures
    Hers: ER
    Mine: Anything Star Trek

And I'm still trying to figure out how to sell the wife on renting and watching Battlestar Gallactica.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My TV sits in front of the treadmill and is connected to a DVD player. There is no antenna or cable connected to it. I ONLY watch it while exercising, and can only watch DVDs. In Fargo I had cable for a while, but there was nothing worth the time it took to watch.

My favorite thing to watch are lectures from The Teaching Company. (www.teach12.com) Otherwise movies (usually not great, but they pass the time while jogging).

I did enjoy the first few seasons of Cheers, which I watched on DVD. And in Mexico there was a telenovela called Los hijos de nadie ("Nobody's Children") which was a very sensitive treatment of the issues of street kids in Mexico City. And I'm ashamed to admit that I rather enjoyed the first 2 or 3 seasons of Buffy, which, if you could stomach Sarah Geller's abominable acting, and David Boreanaz's even worse acting, was very witty. The writing was good. The bad guys were a lot of fun. Especially Drucilla, and later on, the mayor. It wasn't much good after they graduated from high school.

I travel a lot so I often have the opportunity to watch TV in hotel rooms. I have yet to find anything worth watching.

19. jared2

jared2 New Member

Family Guy. That's it. That's enough.

20. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Daniel,

If you haven't watched The Wire or the shorter series The Corner (6hrs), I can't recommend them highly enough. It's the closest I've seen TV come to a creating something equal in complexity to a novel. But a single episode of either out of sequence would make no sense.