1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Alignment Heartburn

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveShepherd, Aug 13, 2005.

1. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have loved my 2005 Prius since I got it last October.

However, I now have that sick, sinking feeling in my stomach that comes from having to deal with a car dealer and a major warranty repair. Here's the deal:

A couple of weeks ago, on a road trip, my wife let the left wheels drift off the pavement as we were slowly driving out of a rest area on I-95. There was about a 4-inch "shelf" that she pulled back onto rather abruptly. Urp! Disconcerting, but not major.

Later on in the same trip, my daughter took a right turn a bit too sharply and drove up onto the curb of a traffic island. Urp! again, but again, not major.

Because of these two little Urp! moments, I decided to get my wheels aligned. My Toyota dealer told me they have no alignment tech, so I'd need to take it to an independent tire and alignment shop. I did so this past Friday: took it to my local Merchant's Tire in Vienna, VA, where I've had lots of this kind of work done before.

When Merchant's finished with my car, they showed me the alignment readouts. My front wheels were indeed a little bit out, and they were able to align them easily.

But the alignment tech told me that the rear end was apparently bent, both wheels, so much so that they could not align the rear wheels within the specs.

When I told him about the two little "Urp!" moments, plus a very, very light rear-ending I suffered (2-3 MPH, just enough to push me gently, not enough for a body shop to find any damage), the tech told me that my situation was not at all consistent with this kind of damage.

Rather, he suggested, the car might have been dropped hard on the pavement somewhere along the delivery chain on its way to the dealer and me. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see such damage in a car with 100,000+ miles on it, but not on one with 17,000. He suggested I go to the dealer and "see what they say." He also said that the present rear-end alignment of my car is "unacceptable."

So I have an appointment at my dealer for two days from today, Monday, and I am absolutely dreading having to convince them that the car was bent out of alignment when they delivered it to me.

Anybody got any thoughts/advice/suggestions?

Dave

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bring something in writing from the alignment technician stating exactly what he told you.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know from working at a dealership they'll use any excuse to deny your warranty. If you haven't told them about your two little incidents, I'd keep quiet about it. I'm not telling you to lie, though.

I find it hard to believe the wheels didn't bend before the suspension. Exactly how far out is the rear alignment? Are we talking about toe or caster?

4. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got an extra copy of his alignment printout already made, plus a typed-up review of all the things he told me (a rather more detailed version of what I posted here).

Well, the alignment tech's point was that the "out-of-align" condition is not consistent with either of the two "urp" moments we had.

I must say I don't know enough about alignment to know what you mean by the wheels bending before the suspension. Part of my problem is that I don't know what to tell Toyota is "bent."

But here are the figures for my rear alignment. In both wheels it is the toe that is out of line:

Specified range is -.03 deg. to .28 deg.

Left rear:
    Before alignment attempt was .34 deg, after was .33

Right rear:
    Before was .45 deg, after is .45 deg.

All other alignment numbers are now within specs.

Can you all tell me what these numbers mean or imply?

Dave

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Oddly, mine's been out of whack since the beginning as well, one of my rear toe's is out of spec, but the other is far enough in where the two numbers balance out - they're just not "straight", which I'm imagining makes my car "dog-leg" just a tiny bit.

Sadly, we have a solid rear end which they say isn't adjustable. However, most techs may try to do so within reason with a crow-bar. Unfortunately you're past the 12k mile alignment warranty which may make it a bit harder to get a replacement rear axle unles you can prove somehow that the condition existed since delivery.

Personally, I'm due for a front alignment again as well due to a very slight shimmy in my wheel when I'm turning the wheel (probably how the new integrity's are breaking in). Problem is, with VSC equipped cars, they must be aligned at the dealer - or by an alignment tech who can plug in and reset the VSC centerline (what the car defines as driving straight based on steering wheel position) as that can change with any toe adjustment in front.

6. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, well, that's the thing: I didn't think at all about a 12K mile alignment warranty, because it seemed to be driving just fine. I'd never have had the alignment checked at all if my wife and daughter hadn't driven over a curb or a pavement offset.

Who routinely goes to have their alignment checked with less than 12K on a car?

Well, when I called my dealer, a service writer told me specifically that they did not have an alignment tech on premises, and that I'd have to take the car to an independent shop--which I did.

Man! This makes me sick! I now know that I'm driving a car with the rear end seriously out of line, and that it will probably cost big bucks to fix, and that I didn't do anything at all to knock it out...and I can't prove I didn't do anything to it. All I have is the spoken word of the alignment tech at that other shop.

Dave

7. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Anyone know how this story panned out??? I feel like I was watching a soap opera and they just cancelled it!

8. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 17 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]333980[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if this is applicable to the Prius as well:

http://rav4world.com/tsb/BR001-04.pdf

Any comment would help out.