1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wheel alignment questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaw444, Nov 26, 2011.

1. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. i have a 2007 with about 65K miles on it. i'm the second owner, i got in 1/09 it at 28K miles.

On 6/24, a driver in a van sideswiped me on the left side with damage to the doors and fender. The car was drivable and i continued to drive it until early July when i got an NGV Civic with carpool lane stickers which i will use temporarily and sell it in about a year, i'm keeping the Prius.

The Prius has been driven very little since early July.

When i got the Prius back from the body shop after it was fixed, i was told that the wheels needed alignment, he said the car was pulling to the left (i think, i'm not sure, i thought it would be written down but it's not).

i didn't notice any pulling before he said that, but since then i think i notice it but am not sure whether it's the effect of the road. Sometimes it just goes straight and i'm not sure about it.

Because i wasn't driving it, i postponed dealing with it but i want to get it taken care of soon.

My last routine service at the dealer was on 5/16/11 and they didn't say anything about needing alignment. They did say i would be needing tires.

I got the tires new in 2/09, i replaced the OEM tires with Goodyear Assurance Triple, just because i do so much driving, i wanted more rugged tires. so that's about 37K mostly freeway miles on those tires.

The tread depth info on the multipoint inspection on 5/16/11 says
    LF 10 RF 5 LR 5 RR 4.

For more perspective, when it was in for routine maintenance on 1/29/11, the tread depth says
    LF 6 RF 6 LR 10 RR 4

Is that considered uneven?

I'm confused because LF goes from 6 to 10, LR goes from 10 to 5.
    What's the logic of that? Very little change on the right?

Some questions are--
    From that info, does it sound like an alignment is needed?
    Are new tires needed?
    Could being sideswiped on the left cause misalignment?
    What sort of price ranges for alignments at the dealer?

thanks

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Consider all depth measurements to be +/-1. 6 ->10 and 10->5 just means that they were rotated front to back on the left.

Always get an alignment after you get new tires.

1 person likes this.
  3. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

oh yeah huh. thanks for clearing that up.
    Do those depths sound like new tires are needed?
    Do they suggest uneven wear?
    I will probably get the tires at Discount Tires. I read in another thread that it's best to go to the dealer for alignment because of the sensors.