1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smarano, Nov 26, 2006.

1. smarano

smarano Junior Member

I'm considering having my car's wheel alignment checked as a precaution after having gone through an incident in which I unintentionally drove the car over a 5" high sidewalk at about 20mph while turning into a parking lot.
    In the process, I am going to ask the dealer to set the alignment to 0.05 toe-in. If he refuses, I am willing to take it to a shop that WILL.

My question: I was planning on changing out the Integrities to a better set of tires in about 2 months. They will be the same size (185x65). Will the change-out of tires affect the alignment, and thus should I wait until AFTER I purchase the tires to have an alignment done?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Steve, check your previous topic, I posted the same thing there you just mentioned. +.05 degrees of toe in. If they don't want to do it tell them that +.05 is well within the specification for the front toe. The spec is -.1 to +.1 degrees.

No need to wait for the tires. When they do the alignment they put the machine on the wheels not the tires.

3. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would ask for 0.05 to 0.01 of toe IN. To me, this tracks better then 0.00 to 0.05. (yes, could just be in my head).
    Make sure the back is in spec.. If not , have them order a shim kit to fix.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there is no shim kit, unfortunately. however the likelihood of needing one is rare anyway.

5. smarano

smarano Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 26 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]354343[/snapback]</div>

Just got back from dealer's service department. They were very agreeable and responsive and didn't blink when I asked them for copy of alignment specs printout. In fact, they were actually concerned that I would be dissatisfied that it was off by 0.01 (from the 0.05 toe-in I requested) and stated that it's very difficult to hit the numbers exactly.

For the record, reading directly from the form they gave me, it indicates that they set the 'Total Toe' to '0.06in.'
    I told them that 0.06 was fine. I assume that's OK?

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stevejm @ Nov 30 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]355814[/snapback]</div>
    If it tracks good .06 total should be just fine. If it still feels flakey to you you can have it set to +.05 on each side, total of +.1 degrees, but I don't think there would be much difference. I'm glad you seem to have found a dealer with a good service department.

7. smarano

smarano Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Nov 30 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]355910[/snapback]</div>

Yes. And for the record, it's East Coast Toyota in East Rutherford, New Jersey.