1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel balance issue -- weights on inside of rim>?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 25, 2015.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O.K. I don't know what is up with me, but was changing the oil today and saw that wheel weights -- you know the squeeze-on things that flop over on the outside of the tire -- had been put on, but on the inside of the tire.

What I mean is that they were put on the rims of the wheel that face under the car. You can't see them if you are standing next to the car, but if you get down on the ground and look under the car, you can see them.

There are also "proper" stick-on weights on the wheels?

Is this correct? The tires have been on for nearly two years, so I guess it is a moot point, but I am just curious and a bit angry.

Bought four Goodyear FuelMax from Sears in Dec. 2013 for $313 total price, which was a great deal, but they originally put regular weights on the tires, which looked horrible and had the wheelcovers bulging out from the wheels.

I took it back and I guess they did this mess...

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's normal. The clip-on weights on inside are for, well, the inside. And the stick-on weights are for the outside.

3. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its a common practice to put all the weights on the inside if the customer requests it. I just bought new tires and noticed they had put weights on the outside of the wheel but since the wheels are silver it really doesn't show much. When I go back for rebalance I may have them put all on the inside.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You would need to request that they place the weights on the inside. Usually if you have expensive rims they will place them on the inside.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They use stick on weights for the inside, at least American Tire does.......

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Clip on weights should not be used on the Prius wheels as they damage the protective coating causing the wheels to corrode particularly in the winter with salted roads.

John

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is what I seemed to remember from previous posters on this forum in various threads. NEVER use the clamp-on type weights -- only the stick-on weights.

Well, as I said, I THOUGHT I had them take off the clamp-ons....Never again at Sears, don't care how good their price is (of course, I could change my mind if the price is right). ;)