1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Balance Out : Ride System Compensating?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Crunch, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Our test drive V was smooth.

Picked up our new V with 5 miles on clock.

I was feeling slightly sick after 30 miles on highway driving. There was this upsetting motion and vibration at 65 -70 mph. I could not feel it through electric steering wheel. It was very suttle. Just through the car as a whole. Was on my own so not sure what others would have felt.

I wondered if the Pitch and Bounce Control system may have been trying to overcome the vibration/motion?

Took vehicle back in, they said wheels were out of balance. 500 miles later and no issues and rides smooth as.

Which gets me to thinking about quality of tires. One wheel has no balance weights, one has 3, another 6 and last 7.
    'V' '5' 17inch.

(I loved my Michelin Hydroedge tires on the old van)

Thanks

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Crunch assuming you have the Toyo Proxes like I my gut says they are crappy tires. I've read on this forum of more than a few sidewall failures early into their life as well as quite a few out of round.

I decided right then if I had failures and they wouldn't stand behind the tire I would bail on the set and not feed money on a poor quality product. We shouldn't have to do that for what we spend on a car but it seems most manufacturers are guilty of this practice.

Do a search for your tire here and I think if you have the same tires as I do you too will grumble to yourself. I haven't seen a v5 come with anything but these tires but the 2&3 had at least 2 that I recall with the 16" wheels.

The original Prius folks have already documented a not very pretty picture.
    W