1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel balancing issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DrTrivia, Oct 24, 2016.

1. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So this isn't exactly Prius-specific, but I figured it was a good place to start. I have one of those cheap Harbor Freight Bubble Balancers for static balancing wheels. Got it because I use winter tires on my Prius, and didn't want to waste a ton of money and time getting them on and off twice a year, but the convenience of replacing my regular tires whenever I want. But no matter what I try, I cannot get repeatability on that balancer. I have confirmed the main shaft is straight (though a tiny variance to one side or the other shouldn't matter), I have used bubble levelers to check that the ground I put it on is flat on all planes, I have checked the tip of the shaft for burrs and irregularities, I have centered the bubble precisely after having it all set up, but it just doesn't work. Typically, the bubble will lean in the same direction every time, regardless of how the tire is put on. I have confirmed, to my satisfaction, that it is an issue with the cone, since rotating the cone causes the bubble issue to rotate as well (I never rotate the cone with a weight on it). However, with no tire on the cone, I can place a 1/4oz weight on the rim and watch it respond very precisely.

If anyone else here does their own balancing, I'd love to know if there's anything I'm missing before I junk this thing. Also, if you have a reputable bubble balancer that you like, I'd also love some suggestions if I give up on the HF model. Not going to spend $300 on a Coats brand, but I'd be willing to do more than the $50 I spent at HF.

Thanks.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You have two sets of tires (winter and summer), each mounted on wheels, so you can do any easy swap of winter tires to summer tires? Eight tires and eight wheels, right?

If this is the case, were the wheels not balanced when you had new tires mounted, at whatever tire store?

The only time you typically need to balance is when mounting new tires, flat repair, slight wheel damage, a wheel weight somehow falls off, or you feel steering wheel shake while driving.

#2 exstudent, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a feeling he's got 8 tires and 4 rims, not sure. Maybe OP can clarify.

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    get rid of the ring and springs and use only the cone, it will be more accurat,make sure the wheel is level when placed on cone

Bluegrassman likes this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I had one of those static balancers 45 years ago. There was no way to do a good enough balancing job with that unit. When you get your wheels/tires balanced at a professional facility, they do dynamic balancing which, when done properly actually works.

JeffD

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So to clarify, I have 4 rims, and 8 tires. I also would need this when I get new tires due to tire damage or wear (I drive 30-40k/yr).

Exstudent: I mount my tires at home. I've had tons of problems in the past with being unable to get tires in a timely manner, and losing my car for a day getting work done. I work long hours, so I typically have to drop my car off for the day and find another way to make my 60mile commute to work while it's getting done. Unmounting/mounting my tires at home is incredibly convenient for me. I have also have numerous issues with tire mounting and balancing quality including, but not limited to: excessive/fraudulent charges, mounting irregularities, improperly balanced wheels, damage done to car while not in my care.

Tankyouong: I actually removed the ring and springs last night before I posted this. I had a vague notion that the issue might have been caused by one spring being too short/long/taught which might be throwing the level off. I did notice a difference without the ring, but still had problems. Very good chance that the problems I encountered with that was due to not having the tire perfectly level on the cone (which is what that ring is supposed to be for). Aside from simply eye-balling it, do you have any good tips/advice to make sure it's 100% properly seated without the ring? I'll probably give that another go.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

#6 DrTrivia, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just throw in the towel, get four Corolla rims and plain lug nuts for the snow tires:

Corolla 15" black steel rims p/n: 42611-02471
    With lug nuts p/n: 90942-01007

And get them pro mounted and balanced.

But still, my hat's off to someone who would take on DIY wheel mounting and balancing.

8. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Another thing I did was removing the adjustment screws and spring under the bubble balancer, mount double sided tape under the bubble level, put clear packing tape over the cone, make sure bubble level is level.